Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Which strut tower to get

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 11:53 PM

Which strut tower to get

I'm currently restoring my 94 camaro v6. so far I have replaced the shocks/strut, installed a cold air intake (just got fun), new slotted/drill rotors/ new fuel filter, engine and the transmission was rebuilt 4 years ago thats still good. so far the car is starting to run great agaiin except for the idle that vibrates through out the car. its annoying as hell. I'm going to improve the suspension but need help on that dept. for now which strut tower brace should I get? any advice will be appreciated. I'm looking for oen that might dampen the interior shaking.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:28 AM

Re: Which strut tower to get

I wouldnt get one, they dont really do anything for us the way our suspension is set up. Its debateable but I dont see a need for one.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:35 AM

Well it wont help your idle vibration problem at all.
as to if it will help handling, thats a debate that will go back and forth forever.

I'd put that money towards shocks/tires
Old 02-14-2005, 10:55 AM

Personally, I'd buy the 'el cheapo 2 point Shock Tower Brace. I think you can find them on Ebay for about $70-$80. Not sure you will notice it though. I might do it for asthetics, and it might help handling too.

Dan
Old 02-15-2005, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by stereomandan
Personally, I'd buy the 'el cheapo 2 point Shock Tower Brace. I think you can find them on Ebay for about $70-$80. Not sure you will notice it though. I might do it for asthetics, and it might help handling too.

Dan
That's really the only logical choice for a STB. The 3-pt isn't worth it since the metal you tie into on the firewall isn't that strong to begin with.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:46 PM

Yeah, I agree with folks above, get one of those cheap ones on Ebay or a used one. I got mine off EBay for $60 or so...the place had a sale where price included shipping. I figure it's a piece of bent tubing with some welds on the end...how bad could a cheapo one be? Maybe weld breaks or the thing snaps in half...it's too simple of a part to justify full price. Kinda the same I feel about a PHR unless you lowered your car and need to re-center the rear.

As for effectiveness, I'm one of the minorities that thinks it makes a small difference. Yeah, I can feel it on turns keeping the car move level. I wouldn't place it high on a suspension priority list, but if you can get one for cheap... If you want something that does what the STB should do, get a bigger solid or hollow front sway bar. You'll really feel that one..arguable a good first suspension mod.

As for vibration, check your tranny and engine mounts. Maybe you need some refreshing up. Any bouncing around of your RPMs at idle?
Old 02-16-2005, 01:13 AM

no the idle is pretty steady but annoying when your on a date with a girl, I mean the car isnt suppose to vibrate very hard later on that night (if you catch my drift), all the sensors are good it only idles really hard when its in gear but if its neutral theres barely any vibration. I usually put it in neutral when I'm in a stop light thats taking to long. likewise I'm planning to take the dash apart and put a strip of rubber seal around the edges to dampen the vibration. so far it worked on the glove compartment on the passenger side. I got some from home depot. the car is about to hit its 200,000 mark sometime next week. I believe the engine mount is still good because if it's bad then the car would vibrate no matter what gear its on.