Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

subframe connector testimonials

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 10:59 AM

Are they bad things? No. But I'd be interested in hearing why you need them specifically, because most of the time the bitching is about things like cowl shake, steering column rattling and general quivering from the chassis. And if you have junk shocks (stock, cheap ones, really old one), they need to be dealt with first. Not only is the car a lot more stable and rides better, but most of the jello feeling goes away because better shocks *don't let impacts through to the body, unlike poor shocks*. I'd rather keep them out first than let them in and band-aid things.

Now, there are times for SFC's sooner than later. Seriously dragged cars that really twist the body on launch being the main one. And I don't really care if you install them, but it's kind of like installing better heads with your stock exhaust.... Might help a little, but you don't get the biggest benefit from them and you are missing out on the good things shocks get you. I'll add that in not one signature above does anyone have shocks that are very good at being dampers, and that will certainly color things. Again, it's got to be a good capable damper, not any random shock.

And keep in mind, I sell SFC's. UMI, SLP, Hotchkis, Edelbrock, etc..... I normally sell UMI because they fit great and have many options. So if you want them, I can hook you up with some.... but I always start with shocks first.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:22 PM

thanks for the info. The reason I want sfc,s is b/c Ive heard, and read that they help get rid of some of the squeks, and what not. My car is a salvage, that had a bent frame. I just want it to be more solid. Im not as concernsd for the performance advantages. Im going to get shocks, but not right now. I just want something to help stiffen up the body.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:52 PM

A wrecked car is certainly not a bad car to put SFC's on either. Don't hesitate to call if you need some help!
Old 01-30-2007, 03:29 PM

On the weld vs bolt. It took 3 tries to get them in just right. The car has to be just right and level. If I did them all the time welding would be fine but when you do them once I liked the do over facter.

I went from slowing down to a crawl over rail road tracks to usually driving right over them. The car doesn't rattle at all now. Shutting the doors even sounds different. It might even handle better.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:33 PM

If you are adding them because you want to stiffen the car, then you need to do it right and do weld-in 3-points. They aren't exactly hard to weld in. Of course you can weld bolt-in connectors later if you are worried about fit. But I know that's one problem we don't have with UMI's SFC's, they fit very, very well.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:08 PM

Should I get the weld in connectors, or the bolt in connectors, and then weld them in later?
Old 01-31-2007, 11:11 PM

strano, I checked your site, but cant find umi 3 points.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:20 AM

Bolt-ins are $279, weld-ins are $259.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:54 AM

does the 3 point make that big of a difference over the two point???
Old 02-06-2007, 11:12 AM

Sam, off topic but your site has become EXTREMELY hard to navigate opposed to how it used to be. I would suggest a change in the works.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Loadre
Sam, off topic but your site has become EXTREMELY hard to navigate opposed to how it used to be. I would suggest a change in the works.
Understandable. But I'm not a computer guy, and I'm working completely by myself these days due to some health issues within my immediate family. Luckily I prefer to deal with customers in person than blindly by way of a website and that's how I spend my whole day. We are not a web-based business in any way, shape of form. So the site just isn't a top priority. Talking to folks about what they need and helping as much as I can is.

I appreciate the concern, but I can't do anything about it for the forseeable future.

Don't hesitate to call me if you have questions....
Old 02-07-2007, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by posenheimer
lol i quote myself.

Anyone???????
Old 02-09-2007, 09:15 AM

Exclamation

Like I said earlier... Two Point or Three Point, or does it matter??????
Old 02-09-2007, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator

Like I said earlier... Two Point or Three Point, or does it matter??????
I don't know if I'm the only other one left reading this thread, but if anyone else is reading that can actually answer this question based on experience, please do.

Logically, yes, three point would help a lot. A triangle is the strongest shape, so if the connector ties in to the frames and body in three places, that should be stronger than just two, because it eliminates (or at least reduces) another kind of flex.

With two points, there is still some range of motion in which the front and rear subframes can shift laterally (sideways) relative to each other. I suspect that this is more likely with bolt-in connectors than weld-in, assuming good welds. The third connection point should virtually eliminate that lateral flex.

IMO, eliminating body/chassis flex is always good, and the more you can do, the better. General consensus is that a 3-point weld-in connector eliminates the most flex, even though some people will tell you that a 2-point bolt-in eliminates enough flex. Given the small differences in price, I'd go for the strongest one.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
I don't know if I'm the only other one left reading this thread, but if anyone else is reading that can actually answer this question based on experience, please do.

Logically, yes, three point would help a lot. A triangle is the strongest shape, so if the connector ties in to the frames and body in three places, that should be stronger than just two, because it eliminates (or at least reduces) another kind of flex.

With two points, there is still some range of motion in which the front and rear subframes can shift laterally (sideways) relative to each other. I suspect that this is more likely with bolt-in connectors than weld-in, assuming good welds. The third connection point should virtually eliminate that lateral flex.

IMO, eliminating body/chassis flex is always good, and the more you can do, the better. General consensus is that a 3-point weld-in connector eliminates the most flex, even though some people will tell you that a 2-point bolt-in eliminates enough flex. Given the small differences in price, I'd go for the strongest one.
Nice Point, I am still wondering if anyone has experience with both and leans toward three point(s) or, will 2 points do me just fine... geometrically, three point makes more sense

Quick Reply: subframe connector testimonials