Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Subframe Connectors

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 08:43 AM

Subframe Connectors

If anybody has any suggestions on subframe connectors/installation of them or just a general tip because I have been looking at them for some time and pretty sure I am in need of them with the abuse I give my car and the stress fracture that was already on it when bought and I thought my flex was in the front end but have narrowed it to the subframe. I'd also like to hear anything about the pros and cons of weld on ones and bolt ons because I seen about the same of both for sale and wondered which one was better from someone that has them.

Any tips would be useful as well as input or pictures would be great

1987 Iroc-z/Z28 T-tops 305 Tpi,67K on the car, all free mods done, primer at the moment, and as soon as i get a job i'm going all out.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:19 PM

bolt on, you can do on jackstands/ramps in your garage.

Weld on, your going to basically have to take it to a shop.

Bolt ons cost like $25 more from UMI.

Weld ons will be a little stronger, but you can weld on the bolt ons later too.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:01 AM

Especially on a third gen (car is getting older), you should benefit from sfc's. IMO, bolt-ins are more practical unless you are a welder and know you are going to keep your car, because you can always bolt in a pair and weld them later. Pretty much what reamo04 stated already.

The only con I can think of is sometimes you may have clearance issues depending what set you choose, like the larger boxed sets like SLP's, if you have a lowered car especially, it can be a trick to get your car onto a lift. Another would be towing your car with certain flatbed trailers (like the ones rented from U-haul). Anyways, my '95 had issues.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:38 PM

The UMI tubular bolt ins have no clearance problems. Looking from the side of the car, you cannot even see them
Old 05-29-2008, 10:37 PM

I have been looking at the BMR subframe connectors but I will take a look at the UMI ones. I plan on having the car for a while so until I go back to school and get ahold of the welders in our shop I'm going to get the bolt on ones and then welding them on. I don't have lowered car its actually a bit higher in the back because of the bigger tires I have. I would rather have the ones you can't see though. Thanks for the advice.

1987 Iroc-Z 305 Tpi All free mods done, rebuit 700R4
Old 05-29-2008, 10:51 PM

It would actually be an interesting post to try to rally the subframe connector guru's in seeing which are the best bang for the buck and do a group purchase. There is not an fbody out there that would not benefit from that kinda deal. Plus, I am curious as to who is the cheapest regardless of bolt in or weld in.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:57 PM

That would be a great idea. Don't know many people on the website that don't already have them though. It would be awesome to do that though. I would like to see pictures of anybody's if they have them. 4th or 3rd gen if possible because they are basically the same underneath. Working on getting the money for them now.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:53 PM

Here are the UMI tubular bolt-in SFC's.

http://www.umiperformance.com/images/2002d.jpg

I love mine, they tucked up very nice. Except I was looking on UMI's web site and the only thing they have for 3rd Gens are boxed weld-in.
Old 06-01-2008, 12:28 AM

Thanks. Thats just what I needed.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:42 AM

get them. They were about one of the best bolt ons I've done. I bought the umi performance tubular 3 point bolt on sfc's. It makes the car a whole new beast. I have a 4th gen but I'm sure it'll be just as good on a 3rd. The car handles a lot better and the car hooks up better. It just feels a lot more solid
Old 06-04-2008, 11:48 AM

That sounds great because my flexing that I notice is around corners and you can really tell. I had it on 3 wheels and after that I have been takin it easy till the subframe is reinforced. I am positive I am buying the UMI sfc. I live in the country with lots of straightaways and some pretty great turns and runs so this is gonna help alot from what I've heard. I have seen some other questions about subframe connectors so when I get them I'll make a picture process of what I do and me installing them. I'm sure there is someone else that has already done this but haven't searched it and will probably do it anyway. Thanks for the advice. I'm glad I asked before going and buying.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:52 AM

Hopefully I will have my car painted by then and I just undercoated most of the entire bottom so it won't to bad to the people who like to really critique other peoples rides.

1987 305 Tpi, T-tops, primer at the moment, newly rebuilt 700R4, smog pump removed, intake box modified, porting coming soon, and almost all ignition replaced, and that's only the start.