Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Subframe install help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 11:57 PM

Subframe install help.

I just picked up some KB DD subframe connectors and they didnt come with any instructions. Doesnt look to hard to install, just some welds, but i want to make sure.

Does anybody have any instructions they could copy for me or something?

Here is what i plan on doing. Drive the car up onto a full car lift so the suspension has a load on it. Disconect the battery. Grind down to the metal where im going to weld. Have somebody hold the subframe connectors in place while i tack weld in some spots to hold it in place, then continue to weld in short beads so it wont warp anything. It looks like there are 3 spots to weld, the front, the back and in the middle. Sound about right? Let me know if you have any other pointers. Also does anybody have an pictures of these installed for a reference?
Old 10-20-2006, 04:44 PM

Re: Subframe install help.

Ive also got my front swaybar off. Should i reinstall it before i weld on the subframe connectors. Let me know please. I would like to install these tomorrow since its my only day off.
Old 10-21-2006, 04:13 AM

That sounds about right. I wouldn't worry about the sway bar.
Old 10-21-2006, 11:04 AM

I sent you some pics via email.
Old 10-21-2006, 11:41 AM

^^^ Thanks for the great pics.
Old 10-22-2006, 07:49 PM

The biggest thing to watch out for when welding subframe connectors is the proximity of the fuel lines to your welding.

The install itself is not hard. My BMR subframe connectors consisted of me pulling a bolt out of my lower control arms, then sliding the subframes over them, re-attaching the bolt, and welding. I had Tuffy (a rinky dink muffler shop) do the welding. It cost me $20, and it was done. I had a buddy drive hours to a highly known performance shop (I won't say which one) who at the beggining charged him over $100 for the install, and during it they accidently got the flame to close to the fuel lines, and fire ran up the side of his car! Needless to say, he got his install + repairs for free.

I had another shop quote me $400 for the install after they told me it would require removal of all my carpet, and the fuel lines "just to be safe". I basically told them to go **** themselves, and then went to Tuffy. I ended up going back to the shop just to show them what I paid somewhere else.

Long story short here, it isn't a hard install, and if you can weld, I would reccomend doing it yourself. Just be extra carefull around the fuel lines when welding. Good luck.