Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Submit Q's for FAQ thread.

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 10:22 PM

Submit Q's for FAQ thread.

I don't know everything, but we can all help each other out.

If you have see a Q you can answer, just Quote it. THere are a lot of threads here that I think we can combine some of them into one.

EX:

What are some good first mods?

LCA's, STB, Trans Mount, SFC's.

Springs and shocks can be a bit difficult for the inexperienced but drastically effect the ride and performance of the car. Rear springs and shocks are a cake-walk. Fronts are a bit more involved. Fronts are NOT a MacPherson Strut Assmebly! I don't care what NAPA tells you!

What do I need to lower my car?

Springs that you like. I advise getting a matching set of shocks for them or you will not get the best result. Adjustable Panhard Bar to center the rear end. LCA Relocation Brackets, to reclaim lost angles. The LCA's should be parallel with the ground. The bottom hole on the Relo Brackets would be best for straight line traction. And lastly, get the car aligned after the job is complete. Lowering the car effects a lot of alignmet angles. Especially Caster. Spring compressioon can be a dangerous undertaking if not performed correctly. Compressed springs house a tremendous ammount of energy.

How do I control wheel hop? I need traction!

----I'm not an expert at traction, but I'll take a stab at it.----
Wheel hop can be controled by stiffer shocks. LCA's also adress the traction problem. If the vehicle is lowered and Relocation brackets have NOT been installed, install them! Again, the bottom hole can be more suited for straight line traction. Torque arm effects the transfer of energy. Sticker tires help too.

Suspension Acronyms Explained

STB- Strut Tower Bar
LCA- Lower Control Arms
LCA RLB's- Lower control Arm Relocation Brackets
SFC- Sub Frame Connectors
TQA or TA- Torque Arm

How do I bleed the power steering system?

Fill the resevoir, start the car, turn the steerign left to right from lock to lock as many times as needed. Re-check fluid level. Repeat as necessary, or untill the steering feels normal, or when the pump stops whining.

Alignment angles explained

CASTER- This refers to the forward/rearward tilt of the steering axis if viewed from the side. -Think of the front wheels of a shoping cart. That's negitive Caster. Positive caster effects cernterability of the vehicle. too much POS caster makes the vehicle harder to steer.

CAMBER- This refers to the inward/outward tilt of the steering axis if viewed from the front. -Incorrect Camber alignment would effect tire wear.

TOE- This refers to the distanse comparison between the leading edge and trailing edge of the front tires. Basically, to be sure both front wheels are pointing in the same direction. -Toe effects the tracking of the vehicle. It will steer off to one side from center if aligned improperly.

TOE OUT ON TURNS- This refers to the inside tire when cornering. The farther you turn the wheel the more the inside tire toes out a little bit. This is a preset angle. When you set the toe on a centered steering wheel, the Alignment Machine or computer should take this into account.

THRUST ANGLE- This refers to the rear end alignment. If there is a thrust angle, that means that the rear end is pointing off at an angle. This would happen if the Vehicle was in an accident or if the PANHARD BAR was incorrectly adjusted. Also known as "Dog Tracking".

Last edited by Bayer-Z28; 11-17-2006 at 10:32 PM.