Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Summit X-Drilled & Slotted Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 10:36 AM

Summit X-Drilled & Slotted Rotors

I know a lot of people talk about how cross drilled rotors are not as good due to cracking and less heat transfer. How much worse are they at stopping? These are pretty inexpensive so I was thinking about giving them a shot because it would be cheap to replace them if they crack / warp. What do you guys think?

The cross drilled is mainly for looks (obviously), but I don't want to compromise too much stopping power / reliability.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 04-09-2007, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by 1quickTA
How much worse are they at stopping?
You won't be able to tell if the drilled rotors are worse or better than slotted rotors.

As you said cross-drilled are much more proned to cracking. However, I just installed the summit rotors on the rear of my car. For the price, I'm not going to be out a lot of money if they do crack, and since they are on the rear of the car they will be a lot less prone to failure.

The front rotors see a lot more thermal stress, so I'm going to spend the extra money for a quality set of slotted rotors (no cross-drills). From testimonies I've heard drill rotors are very suseptilble to cracking. The way I think of it is, two sets of summit rotors still cost more than a set of Powerslot rotors.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:46 PM

Ask what the rotor weight is and compare that to stock. I've seen replacement rotors weight the same or 2+ lbs more than stock. This is where you'll feel a difference. More mass = more energy that can be absorbed before the temp is raised.

Also change your fluid out and have better pedal pressure.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:18 PM

Check out the KVR performance line of rotors we sell. They are very reasonably priced and available in slotted or cross drilled. It is really silly to slot and drill a rotor as slotting makes a rotor run hotter (for more heat in the pads and initial bite) and drilling is supposed to make a rotor run cooler by increasing the airflow through the rotor. KVR also makes some great street pads. Pads will give you a larger performance improvement that you will ever see from rotors.