Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Suspension guys, help me pick some new shocks

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by canbaufo
Thank you for your input, this is the kind I want. The truth is I overlooked shocks because I bought the springs when the car had 35K on it and the shocks were still "good"....and I didn't know how "bad" the stock decarbons really are until I started reading some in here. The Borla exhaust looks like it did the day I bought it six years ago, good investment. You're right, I don't know much about suspension which is part of the reason I posted this.....you can bet I now know shocks are a major component. When I did a lot of my mods, I had some spare money. I just don't happen to now so I can't fork out $800 for shocks even though they may actually be worth it. You've answered one of my pivotal questions though, which was valving/damping vs adjustability and why not all shocks that are adjustable are equal. So are Koni's the only thing worthwhile or is there in fact a good performing shock for a reasonable price? Since you're a vendor what would you recommend for my application (good performance all around to be used with existing Pro Kit)? I think going with adjustables at all four corners would be best. I guess if it's Koni's and only Koni's and nothing else is worthwhile, I'll have to look for a used set or save money for awhile.

This is where I tell you that any more information really can't be handled by e-mail and I'll have to ask you call because details are huge, as is having some idea what the parts we are talking about do, and why they are so important.

I understand the Borla looks nice still, but it's still a bunch of pipes that cost you as much as shocks which are multiple times more complicated. And frankly a Magnaflow @ half the price would have looked nice still too. Granted there are reasons to run what you did vs. others but performance isn't one of them really. That's fine, but shocks don't look pretty they are there to do a job. Doing that job and lasting while doing it are the keys.

Yes, there are less expensive options for shocks, and we can discuss those as well.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:30 PM
Administrator

Get good shocks. The QA1 shocks are marginal. Shoebox and I bought and installed ours at the same time. His were leaking in less than a year. Every QA1 I have ever seen (except mine) has leaked very soon after it was installed. Mine don't leak, but then I hardly ever drive the car. Even for drag applications, I would look at the Afco double adjustable drag shocks rather than the QA1's. In retrospect, I really don't think they are very good for anything.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
This is where I tell you that any more information really can't be handled by e-mail and I'll have to ask you call because details are huge, as is having some idea what the parts we are talking about do, and why they are so important.

I understand the Borla looks nice still, but it's still a bunch of pipes that cost you as much as shocks which are multiple times more complicated. And frankly a Magnaflow @ half the price would have looked nice still too. Granted there are reasons to run what you did vs. others but performance isn't one of them really. That's fine, but shocks don't look pretty they are there to do a job. Doing that job and lasting while doing it are the keys.

Yes, there are less expensive options for shocks, and we can discuss those as well.
Sounds like I just need to call you sometime, thanks for the input. I gave a lot of information in my first post regarding what I need out of a shock. Just in case that's enough information (probably not from what you say) look it over and shoot me a suggestion here if you'd care to. Otherwise I'll just give you a call sometime. Thanks
Old 12-20-2006, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canbaufo
Thanks, but no way I'd even consider $800 for shocks, I'm not rich.

I am not either, in fact I was 20 at the time I bought the koni's and in college. But if you have 5k in you motor, a 3k blower, and going to have a 2200 rear end it seems that you can afford 800 for shocks. I also understand how important shocks are in a f body and wasn't going to throw in some crappy shock because I wanted to be cheap about things.
When i first talked to sam I wasnt considering them either, but after he broke things down they seemed to be the logical choice. Once you talk to him you will understand. good luck with your decision.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:11 AM

Just so we're clear here.... Koni's are the only choice. They are, by way of the range and type of adjuster, generally a great choice.... but not the only one. However, like anything when you option down you give up somethings. But I agree, I find it more than ironic that he's not rich enough for $800 shocks (and BTW, you can do a set of Koni's for as low as $725), but he's rich enough for all those other parts. I highly doubt it's a money thing, I think it's a perception issue and the perception is shocks don't really matter that much. That perception is easily changed by talking to anyone who's had cheap shocks and good shocks both. But hey, they aren't "cool" so they tend to get blown off as a worthwhile mod. To each his own.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Just so we're clear here.... Koni's are the only choice. They are, by way of the range and type of adjuster, generally a great choice.... but not the only one. However, like anything when you option down you give up somethings. But I agree, I find it more than ironic that he's not rich enough for $800 shocks (and BTW, you can do a set of Koni's for as low as $725), but he's rich enough for all those other parts. I highly doubt it's a money thing, I think it's a perception issue and the perception is shocks don't really matter that much. That perception is easily changed by talking to anyone who's had cheap shocks and good shocks both. But hey, they aren't "cool" so they tend to get blown off as a worthwhile mod. To each his own.
lol, thanks for the advice and the assumptions. Sounds like I just need to save up for Koni's ....at least that way I don't have any doubts. Prior to this thread I had no idea how important shocks are, and assumed my low mileage "good" stockers were fine (as far as I can tell they are, but I have no grounds for comparison). Right now I make just enough money to pay my bills. Back when I did most of my mods I had a roomate forking over an additional 5K annually tax free and had a whole different career that came and went with money. I now work at a bank for a relatively small salary, have no roomate, and just get by pretty much. I have even gone so far as to not dyno test or drag race my "new" combination (the 355 with the overdriven Powerdyne) that I've had for almost two years .....because I'm scared of breaking parts since I can't afford them. I will either have to sell the car pretty soon or find a way to make more money ....or....just keep living in limbo with it as I have been until the time for either comes. Anyway, sounds like I need to call you if I get some Christmas money or something. Koni's it will be unless you suggest something moderately priced that's almost as good (doubt it). btw, I'm confused by your wording; in the first sentence you're saying Koni's are the only choice. Then you say they're generally a great choice, but not the only one ...maybe it was a typo and you meant to say "Koni's aren't the only choice" in the beginning. Anyway I appreciate your candor, what I want is the truth.