Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

suspension help please

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 01:18 PM

suspension help please

Hey guys,
I've been a memeber for a long time but i'm usually just a lurker. Anyway, I have a 97 Z with 135,000 miles on it. I notice it rides pretty bad compared to my 99 v6 camaro-when I take a turn fast I hear a squeel from the back and it also just seems harder to keep on the road I'm planning on buying slp take off shocks and struts but I'm also looking at 1LE rear springs and a 32mm front sway bar. Compared to the rest of the car I know very little about suspension so: will that combo fix the problems I'm having? Am I just wasting my money buying the springs and the sway bar? Are there additional parts I should be buying? I just want the suspention to be at stock specs or a little better--I just got married and don't have the money to do anything fancy. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 05-30-2005, 10:44 PM

Re: suspension help please

Originally Posted by squeelyblue99
Hey guys,
I've been a memeber for a long time but i'm usually just a lurker. Anyway, I have a 97 Z with 135,000 miles on it. I notice it rides pretty bad compared to my 99 v6 camaro-when I take a turn fast I hear a squeel from the back and it also just seems harder to keep on the road I'm planning on buying slp take off shocks and struts but I'm also looking at 1LE rear springs and a 32mm front sway bar. Compared to the rest of the car I know very little about suspension so: will that combo fix the problems I'm having? Am I just wasting my money buying the springs and the sway bar? Are there additional parts I should be buying? I just want the suspention to be at stock specs or a little better--I just got married and don't have the money to do anything fancy. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Buy the way you do not have struts, you have coil over shocks.

Front sway bar is a good idea. The rear springs are not a good idea unless you get the matching fronts 360 in/lb and they are hard to find.

The stiffest end slides first, so stiffer rear springs will just make the car more tail happy.

Due to the work involved don't buy SLP take off's get some good shocks and you won't be doing the job again right away.

If you want ride quality don't mess with the springs and be careful what you buy in the way of shocks.

Your tires are not listed, they have more effect than any other part on the car when cornering.

Sam Strano gives good advice and sells some good stuff.