Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

suspension install

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 01:02 PM

suspension install

i have control arms, sway bars, panhard bar, shocks and springs, strut tower brace, sub frame connectors,

the car is a 94 firebird formula, i was wonder how much of this i could install myself, im not that experienced. i want to try and save some money on the install, i will have the sub frame weld and the shocks and springs put in. let me know all comments welcomed,
thanks Ed
Old 04-08-2008, 01:36 PM

The rear lower control arms, sway bars,panhard rod, and rear shocks are pretty easy to do. Its hard to say though not knowing what your mechanical level is and what you feel comfortable doing. If you bought those parts new, you should have instructions for them. Read through everything and get a feel for the removal of the old parts and install of the new and go from there. If you feel the stuff is over your head, then it might not be a bad idea to pay someone to do it or maybe get a friend to help you.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by 2000GTP
The rear lower control arms, sway bars,panhard rod, and rear shocks are pretty easy to do. Its hard to say though not knowing what your mechanical level is and what you feel comfortable doing. If you bought those parts new, you should have instructions for them. Read through everything and get a feel for the removal of the old parts and install of the new and go from there. If you feel the stuff is over your head, then it might not be a bad idea to pay someone to do it or maybe get a friend to help you.
the lcas, sway bars, and panhard bar are just 2 bolts apeice correct??? i could just have the sub frames welded in and the shocks done.
let me know thanks
Old 04-09-2008, 11:51 AM
Administrator

Yes, one bolt at each end. They may be rusty, will need a penetrant like PB Blaster, and may require a 1/2" breaker bar, preferably with a 6-point socket. Rear shocks and springs are very simple, as already noted above. As simple as a bolt at the bottom of each shock, a nut at the top, and a floor jack to lower the rear axle assembly to the point where the springs falls out (not under compression at that point).

If you want to tackle the spring/shock install, I have a fairly detailed online procedure. You will need a spring compressor, but could get by with taking the spring/shock assembly to a shop for disassembly. Usually the top nut on the front shocks is rusted so badly that it may be necessary to cut the shock shaft off to get it apart. You might also consider new upper spring seats, since they do rot and when the rubber starts to crack, the part the shock bolts through can tear loose.

http://members.aol.com/InjuneerZZ/HALEibch.htm

Stock front shock components:

An assembled front shock with compressor:

Complete assembly - front shock:

The shock tower brace is not real hard, but may require you to retract the studs on the upper spring seat to allow the holes in both sides of the brace to fit over their respective studs (studs are splayed outward at the top). Since you would have the upper spring seat unbolted for the spring/shock replacement, its no problem.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:05 PM

Read everything in Injuneers install guide for front shocks, i just did this, and learned it all the hard way. Make sure you mark the old spring perch, spring, shock, and upper spring seat, this way when you put it all back together, you will only have to do it once. Took me a couple of hours. If the top nut is rusted so bad you cant turn it, dont bother using an air chisel, dremel, or drill. Compress the spring slightly with a spring compressor, take an angle grinder, ( i used my makita ) turn it sideways, and grind that nut right off, it will take about 2 minutes, and will smell like burning rubber, but thats the fastest way. After that the shock will come apart. FYI, i have heard others have used a torch to burn that nut off, i wouldnt, if you cut into that shock, it will blow up like dynamite in your face. Those front shocks are loaded with oil, and under pressure from gas, trust me i know, me and my brother cut one of his off with a sawzall.
Old 04-12-2008, 03:40 PM

Where you located at ?
If you're in california, I'll help you out .
That's if you don't mind driving to madera.
I think I've done my suspension at least 5 x now since 1999
LOL!
Old 04-13-2008, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by bluz28
Where you located at ?
If you're in california, I'll help you out .
That's if you don't mind driving to madera.
I think I've done my suspension at least 5 x now since 1999
LOL!
thanks for the offer, but im in rochester NY, want to come to NY for a week?? we have a wonderful spring season!
Old 04-13-2008, 01:01 PM

LoL.......NY is just a little out of my way.

IMO;
Read, and re-read several "how-to's" and print it/them out.And do a search of this suspension forum and print out any info that sounds useful to you.
Do the panhard bar and the rear control arms first,second do the swaybars,third do the rear springs. You could spread these out over several weeks if you want/ need too.
And the if you're still up for it,do the front springs and shocks. Just make sure you are ready in case you have to cut the top nut off the front shocks. Be safe, and take your time. But most of all have fun!

Last edited by bluz28; 04-13-2008 at 01:08 PM.