Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Suspension Options

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 09:34 PM

Suspension Options

What are my options for making this car handle even better? What do u guys recomend and what will it cost me. I would liek to get it to pull around .9gs on teh skid pad altough i know there will be no way to know what it will do. I want to hold and give close to no noticable body roll. I would like it to be able to hold a left hand turn at around 50 mph without it loseing it.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:41 PM

Re: Suspension Options

the best thing would be springs and shocks....

probably $200 for springs, and $400 for bilstein shocks

the next step, and much easier to install, would be sway bars. i paid about $300 shipped for my 32/21mm solid bars, with endliinks and bushings, from BMR and it made a HUGE difference in cornering ability...on stock shocks/springs.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:51 PM

sub frame connectors they made a huge difference on my car, also good tires
Old 08-31-2005, 10:09 PM

OK so to get some better handling it will cost me around 900 bucks. Not to bad. Anyidea how this would do any of my requirments?
Old 09-01-2005, 06:21 AM

doesn't the Z pull nearly .9g on the skidpad stock??

i'm shocked i forgot to mention the SFC. they really make the car more responsive in corners. allows the suspension to do it's job instead of trying to pick up the slack after the body flexes.

depending on money i would do this to start:

SFC
swaybars
shocks (depending on mileage...although stock decarbons SUCK new)
springs
shock tower brace
panhard bar
lower control arms

this is all assuming you have good tires...since the bottom line is that you can have the best suspension, but it won't do **** if the tires won't hold the road
Old 09-01-2005, 02:41 PM

Also may want to try the suspension section instead of the LS1 engine section.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:56 PM

Thumbs up Re: Suspension Options

Originally Posted by apg96
What are my options for making this car handle even better? What do u guys recomend and what will it cost me. I would liek to get it to pull around .9gs on teh skid pad altough i know there will be no way to know what it will do. I want to hold and give close to no noticable body roll. I would like it to be able to hold a left hand turn at around 50 mph without it loseing it.
Only one real answer : BMR The right stuff at the right price, they manufacture all their suspension components.

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/

SteveC
Old 09-01-2005, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Greed4Speed
Also may want to try the suspension section instead of the LS1 engine section.
http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261202
Old 09-01-2005, 05:50 PM

sry bout that.
Old 09-05-2005, 04:02 AM

cant believe no one mentioned tires!...probably the single best perofrmance mod you can do to make a car handle better
Old 09-05-2005, 08:24 AM

Tires and SFCs. Shocks, springs if you want, and swaybars.

BMR is NOT the only answer. There are many others Spohn, Wolfe, UMI to name a few. Plus these others usually cost a little less too. BMR has had some quality issues in the past and many will not buy from them because of it.

Last edited by Greed4Speed; 09-05-2005 at 08:26 AM.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:39 PM

Or you could contact someone who's deal it is to make the car actually handle better, not just build a bunch of parts.

PROPER shocks are top of the list. Swaybars are second. Then springs (in order of importance, but they are easier to install with shocks). SFC's *NOT* (note the asteriks and large letters) needed for a better handling car. Folks find a big difference because the rest of the suspension they have sucks. And things that make the chassis quiver shouldn't get into the chassis in the first place, but because they don't have good shocks, etc. those impacts do get in and the SFC's help once that happens. Same with a STB, largely irrelevant on a 4th gen because of the way the front suspension is setup. Will help a car that has a bad time with impacts and damping, but does not help a car with good dampers.

And for the record, a 32mm bar is not enough if you really want the car to work, and a 25mm rear bar is too much. In short you want to be around 35/21-22mm bars, and ideally like them to be hollow to save useless weight.
Old 09-10-2005, 12:30 AM

Springs should not be your first mod. Upgrade your shocks first, then some sub frame connectors and the sway bar. I love the Koni shocks I put on my Iroc.
Old 09-10-2005, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by 01 FS Z28
Or you could contact someone who's deal it is to make the car actually handle better, not just build a bunch of parts.

PROPER shocks are top of the list. Swaybars are second. Then springs (in order of importance, but they are easier to install with shocks). SFC's *NOT* (note the asteriks and large letters) needed for a better handling car. Folks find a big difference because the rest of the suspension they have sucks. And things that make the chassis quiver shouldn't get into the chassis in the first place, but because they don't have good shocks, etc. those impacts do get in and the SFC's help once that happens. Same with a STB, largely irrelevant on a 4th gen because of the way the front suspension is setup. Will help a car that has a bad time with impacts and damping, but does not help a car with good dampers.

And for the record, a 32mm bar is not enough if you really want the car to work, and a 25mm rear bar is too much. In short you want to be around 35/21-22mm bars, and ideally like them to be hollow to save useless weight.

I was going to suggest he look for your name in this forum. Only thing was I couldn't remember your name. Im not in here much but every now and again I come to check out the suspension info and I remember a while back someone recommended you for better handling advise.
Old 09-10-2005, 02:00 AM

Springs and shocks. Lowering springs will make a huge diff.

Quick Reply: Suspension Options