Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Suspension packages

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 01:26 PM

Suspension packages

I was wondering if there were any good suspension packages out there you guys can reccomend to me. The only ones I found are the Spohn and BMR on lmperformance.com They both include lcas, torque arm, and panhard bar. Both look good and i think im gunna go with the BMR kit. Any suggestions or recomendations? Thanks!!

Here are the links if you like to check them out:

BMR:
http://www.lmperformance.com/1825/2.html

Spohn:
http://www.lmperformance.com/1828/2.html
Old 06-01-2006, 08:03 PM

Re: Suspension packages

I wouldn't buy either package because they both use poly/poly LCAs.
What purpose are you wanting to tune the suspension for? What suspension mods do you already have?
Between the two, I like Spohn's workmanship better.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:40 PM

I dont have any suspension mods as of now....I just wanted to upgrade everything mostly for more traction while launching. I dont really know what the difference between the poly and chrome moly or w/e. Maybe you can help me out here? Other than these packages what do you reccomend? Thanks

Last edited by JDM-93_Z28; 06-02-2006 at 02:45 PM.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:24 PM

The downside to poly/poly LCAs is that they flexing so they restrict the rear axle's ability to twist, as it does when you are cornering. Rod ends have no such resistance in that direction so they give better suspension action. The downside to rod ends is that they have no cushioning so they tend to be noisy in operation, such as when the suspension receives an abrupt impact. There are a couple of compromises: LCAs with one poly bushing and one rod end, or one rubber bushing and one poly. I went with BMR's rubber/poly and I'm happy with them. They can be easily changed over to poly/poly if you want to try it that way.
On the phb, any bar is a step up from stock. Rod ends on the phb are okay from a noise standpoint. Just be sure your bar comes with high quality rod ends, which both Spohn's and BMR's do. You can also get phbs in poly/rod end and poly/poly.
You didn't mention LCA relocation brackets which are good for launching traction because they change the angle of the LCA which pushes the axle downward under acceleration. They come in bolt on and weld on models. I went with BMR bolt ons because I could install them myself.
I would hold off on the torque arm and do the other stuff first and maybe consider a stiffer rear swaybar. And of course wider wheels and tires if you haven't done that yet.
Old 06-03-2006, 07:55 AM

My tires are 275s so they r pretty wide already. The lca relocation brackets i was planning on gettin after i upgraded the rest of the suspension. If i can afford it i will do it at the same time. As far as the stiffer sway bar, that wont help me launch, it will only help cornering and body roll, correct?

Sorry for my ignorance when it comes to suspension parts, and thank you for all your help.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:59 AM

For a more indepth understanding of 4th gen suspension, take a look here: http://robmeadway.com/fbodysuspguide.htm
I'm no expert on drag race suspension setups but i think a stiffer rear swaybar will make the car launch straighter. Maybe someone more knowledgeable will chime in.
Old 06-03-2006, 11:33 AM

A stiffer rear bar will help you launch straighter, but will also cause a lot of oversteer.
Old 06-03-2006, 04:53 PM

You can also look into UMI Performance, thats what I run and it works great.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Bud M
For a more indepth understanding of 4th gen suspension, take a look here: http://robmeadway.com/fbodysuspguide.htm
I'm no expert on drag race suspension setups but i think a stiffer rear swaybar will make the car launch straighter. Maybe someone more knowledgeable will chime in.
good read.
Old 06-03-2006, 11:12 PM

Eh, I know people that use rod ends with absolutely no problems for years. I just bought a UMI adj. panhard and LCA with their subframes. Both have poly/poly's I believe as well.
Old 06-04-2006, 11:58 PM

I was wondering what kind of suspension some of the 10 second cars are running. In the distant future I plan gettin down that low so I want to get what I need now. Would these kits suite that or are the inferior?