Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

suspension shopping... need suggestions!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 11:48 PM

Re: suspension shopping... need suggestions!

Originally Posted by 01 FS Z28
"firehawk" shocks are SLP Bilstein's, which are about $400 a set.

One point I think you are missing, is that your shocks work ALL the time, not just when you go around corners. You know the bumps you hit that make the car quiver? That's largely the shocks fault. Good ones cut that down by 90%. They make the car ride better. They make the car more stable at speed (in a straight line even). You hit a bump or a dip the shocks are ALL that damp that up and down movement.
sorry about that, i meant what about those firehawk SPRINGS. not shocks. oops. I do know that the shocks do most of their work going straight rather than turning. my car doesn't really jog around too much on bumps, but i definately see where better shocks would make for a better ride when driving it down the road. I have not tested the stock shocks enough to complain yet. probably wont do any testing until new shocks are on.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:02 PM

I'm pretty happy with my Bilstein hd shock/struts. Note, I'm also running Eibach sportline springs, bmr front/rear sway/stb/adj panhard rod They are a much improvement over stock ones, which run about $400. Also, I suggest better springs, I recommend the 1LE's, if you don't want to lose your ride height. I don't know if I would waste your money on the 1LE sway bar, I'd suggest going with a solid 32mm bar. A little more money but a lot more handleing performance. I also recommend doing the rear at the same time, so it doesn't break loose on you under hard turning. Keep in mind, if your going to be doing any suspension work, consider replacing ball joints, and all your bushings, either rubber or polly at the same time. I would do those three things to start off, I think you'd be pretty happy. then go with sfc's, a-ams,etc. Remember, if you do go with any lowering springs, keep in budjet an adj panhard rod. Hope some of this helps.
Old 08-27-2005, 01:11 AM

already have sfc's, and will not buy a-arms until they fall off. I'll look into the sway bar a little more. My goal is just to have some good shocks complimented with a rear end that will plant decent in turns. besides poly bushings, i'll probably skip out on all the front end stuff. I already have new balljoints. i guess I'll stay stock springs maybe 1le's, bilstein shocks, and maybe a solid sway bar. who knows.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:30 PM

Just to support what has already been said: you mentioned shocks and springs, save the money and dont bother with the springs, and get better shocks, I recomend Koni (I have them on my third gen), also bilstein have an excelent reputation. And if you go with Koni, get the third gen rear shock, it bolts up just the same but is like $50 dollars cheaper per shock. Difference is its monotube, and off car adjustable, but it will perform just as good if not better.