Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

suspension upgrades, whats missing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 01:37 PM

suspension upgrades, whats missing?

i have a 1994 pontiac firebird formula and im planning the following upgrades,

hotchkis lower control arms
hotchkis panhard bar
hotchkis front and rear sway bar
hotchis strut tower brace
hotchkis 1in lowering springs

umi k member
umi upper and lower a arms
umi lca relocation bracket
umi torque arm

bilstein revalued shocks

i was looking at the umi 3 point sub frame connector compared to the hotchkis 2 point. what do you guys think? i was also wondering if anything is missing that i have over looked.

should i get a new rack and pinion steering set up? if so what one?

i will also be adding a brake upgrade

any info or input is welcomed thanks alot
Old 01-27-2008, 02:11 PM

What are your goal?

Drag,auto x,street?
Old 01-27-2008, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by always faster
What are your goal?

Drag,auto x,street?
the car is used on the street and taking to the track a couple time a year, it is not a daily driver, its supercharged with headers and cat back. corvette tranny
Old 01-27-2008, 09:08 PM

Strano sway bars are cheaper than Hotchkis and still hollow and 35mm front 21mm rear IIRC. J&M is a supporting vendor here and has some good pricing on several of the parts you mentioned.

What kind of track are you taking it to???
Old 01-27-2008, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Greed4Speed
Strano sway bars are cheaper than Hotchkis and still hollow and 35mm front 21mm rear IIRC. J&M is a supporting vendor here and has some good pricing on several of the parts you mentioned.

What kind of track are you taking it to???
i already bought all the hotchkis stuff, i take it to a 1/4 mile track and have a nice time. just somthign to do, unlimited runs for like 12 bucks

i bought the rear package and the umi front package. so it was easy to get

Last edited by formula12345; 01-27-2008 at 09:15 PM.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:38 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by formula12345
the car is used on the street and taking to the track a couple time a year, it is not a daily driver, its supercharged with headers and cat back. corvette tranny
What "corvette tranny" do you have in your 94 Formula?
Old 01-28-2008, 11:37 AM

My guess is "Corvette Tranny" could be the Corvette servo upgrade.

So your list covers the suspension parts, but you might consider adjustable parts...mainly torque arm and panhard rod. Sounds like you could have some serious power, so if you have the cash, go for the 3-pt SFCs.

I don't see what you would need a new rack and pinion steering, especially if it's for drag and not a DD...heck just keep the wheels straight! The stock should fit the Umi k-member anyways.

As for brake upgrades, most people do fronts only. Since you're not autocross, don't worry about the rears. You have lots of choices and people will debate the type of rotors you get (cross drilled, slotted). But these upgrades seem popular: LS1 fronts, Corvette, Porsche. There's kits for all of upgrades. Or if you got more cash, you can go with new systems from Baer or Wilwood.

Since you're talking about suspension, might want to consider what tires to get as well..they're the only thing that touches the ground on your car.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
What "corvette tranny" do you have in your 94 Formula?
i had my transs rebuild with all corvette parts when it blew so i say corvette tranny. it should handle anything i throw at it
Old 01-28-2008, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by WestCoast96Z28
My guess is "Corvette Tranny" could be the Corvette servo upgrade.

So your list covers the suspension parts, but you might consider adjustable parts...mainly torque arm and panhard rod. Sounds like you could have some serious power, so if you have the cash, go for the 3-pt SFCs.

I don't see what you would need a new rack and pinion steering, especially if it's for drag and not a DD...heck just keep the wheels straight! The stock should fit the Umi k-member anyways.

As for brake upgrades, most people do fronts only. Since you're not autocross, don't worry about the rears. You have lots of choices and people will debate the type of rotors you get (cross drilled, slotted). But these upgrades seem popular: LS1 fronts, Corvette, Porsche. There's kits for all of upgrades. Or if you got more cash, you can go with new systems from Baer or Wilwood.

Since you're talking about suspension, might want to consider what tires to get as well..they're the only thing that touches the ground on your car.
i thought about the steering because it is 14 years old, and has 80,000 miles on it. and im going to be in there anyway.

the parhard bar is adj the torque arm isnt.

i want the brakes to have matching or near matching rotors all the way around, just for looks, i know most stopping power is from the front but i want the car to look as nice as possible so i would go with slotted and drilled.

i have goodyear eagle f1 gs-d3 all the way around. just got them. on c6 zo6 18in chrome wheels.
thanks for your post you have been most helpful. any more input would be welcomed.

p.s. my trans mount is broken, can i just order any generic mount to repair it or is there an specific one i should get
thanks again
Old 01-28-2008, 03:04 PM

That front swaybar and STB won't help you at all on the strip. The STB is basicly an appearance mod and if you unbolt the end links up front you'll probably cut a better 60'.

As far as the SFC's go, 2 points will be more than adequate for drag racing. Plus they'll weigh less.

A steering upgrade isn't gong to benefit you either since you only go straight.

Not to be rude, but it sounds like you're just throwing parts at your car in hopes that they all work together.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:06 PM
Administrator

If you're going to put huge brakes in the rear, you might want to make sure the ABS system is capable of accomodating the increased potential for rear brake lockup. Sometimes doing things for "looks" can have negative effects.

Also seems to me there is no "theme" to the mods.... for the drag strip use, many of your mods will have a negative impact.... lowering, 18" wheels, non-adjustable torque arm, front sway bar (as pointed out in the preceding post), huge brakes (preventing the use of 15" drag wheels), cutting weight with an expensive K-member, and then throwing a bunch of heavy-weight mods on it, etc.

Last edited by Injuneer; 01-28-2008 at 04:09 PM.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:34 PM

[QUOTE=Injuneer;5143556]If you're going to put huge brakes in the rear, you might want to make sure the ABS system is capable of accomodating the increased potential for rear brake lockup. Sometimes doing things for "looks" can have negative effects.

Also seems to me there is no "theme" to the mods.... for the drag strip use, many of your mods will have a negative impact.... lowering, 18" wheels, non-adjustable torque arm, front sway bar (as pointed out in the preceding post), huge brakes (preventing the use of 15" drag wheels), cutting weight with an expensive K-member, and then throwing a bunch of heavy-weight mods on it, etc.[/QUOT

the car is not a drag car, i dont know where you guys got that. i run the 1/4 mile with it 4 times a year. its not a daily driver i have it to have fun and try to build it to support my engine mods. i was on here to try and figure out what i should have and not have. i thought that was what this forum was for. thats why i asked for advise.
i want the car to handle well go fast and look really good at the same time. thats what i want my mods to accomplish. suggestions?
Old 01-28-2008, 09:44 PM

i would return the stb, it doesnt do much and to pay any more than 40 or 50 bucks for one is a waste i think. If you still have any money left after all your new parts think about koni's for shocks. The sa's are great, you can adjust them to your liking also.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:11 AM

the car is not a drag car, i dont know where you guys got that. i run the 1/4 mile with it 4 times a year. its not a daily driver i have it to have fun and try to build it to support my engine mods. i was on here to try and figure out what i should have and not have. i thought that was what this forum was for. thats why i asked for advise.
i want the car to handle well, go fast, and look really good at the same time. thats what i want my mods to accomplish. suggestions?[/QUOTE]
Old 01-29-2008, 09:25 AM

People are offering you some good advice, they are just stating that you are pulling in two different directions with your choices. Suspension parts are very expensive, they add up quick, and if you don't choose wisely, you will spend a boatload of money and not get any real gains. Might I suggest doing a search of previous posts. This question does get brought up alot and there is alot of good info on it. There should be plenty to give you some ideas and direction.