Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Swapping track pads in for a session, do I have to resurface rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 06:42 PM

Swapping track pads in for a session, do I have to resurface rotors?

I've changed brake pads multiple times, but whenever I do it's at the end of their cycle, and I end up getting the rotors resurfaced at the same time. I'm using Hawk HPS right now for street driving with no issues, probably still more than half their life left. They suck at the track though so I picked up some HPS+ for an event this week. They aren't good for the street though, so I'm going to have to install them, then put my old pads back in.

Since they require bedding, am I going to have to get the rotors resurfaced for these new pads, or can I get by just running some sandpaper over the rotor to get rid of the glazing? What about when I go back to the street pads?
Old 02-04-2008, 11:04 PM

http://www.zeckhausen.com/avoiding_brake_judder.htm

N/M. Interesting read, brings up the warped rotor issue that a lot of f body people complain about too.

Use Race Pads as a Tool to Remove Deposits from Rotors

If you install race pads before your track event and drive around normally, the race pads will polish away the transfer layer left behind by your street pads. This leaves you with nice, clean rotors which may be bedded with your race pads when you are at or near the track.

After the track event is over, you should not switch back to street pads right away. Instead, drive home from the event using your race pads. As they cool down, the race pads will once again go into pure abrasive mode and polish away their own transfer layer from your race weekend. Cold race pads will even cure judder problems from pad deposits accumulated during the track event. By the time you get home, the rotors are polished clean and ready for you to install and bed your street pads.

In essence, you are using your race pads as portable brake lathes. The race pads are a tool for removing unwanted transfer layer before and after your track event.
When disc brakes for high performance cars arrived on the scene we began to hear of "warped brake discs" on road going cars, with the same analyses and diagnoses. Typically, the discs are resurfaced to cure the problem and, equally typically, after a relatively short time the roughness or vibration comes back...

In fact every case of "warped brake disc" that I have investigated, whether on a racing car or a street car, has turned out to be friction pad material transferred unevenly to the surface of the disc. This uneven deposition results in thickness variation (TV) or run-out due to hot spotting that occurred at elevated temperatures.