Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Sway bar help

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 10:53 AM

Sway bar help

I have a 96z28 with sum simple mods about 400 HP and I noticed my handling is not the best. I was recommended sway bars. Not sure which ones to get where and where to get from any help would be appreciated on what u guys recommend also the car is lowered if that matters at all
Old 02-04-2009, 11:37 AM

Handling not the best in what way?

Does the car understeer, oversteer? Slow in transient (i.e. slalom)?

Understeer = go with larger rear ARB
Oversteer = go with larger front ARB

Poor transient = both ARBs... but maybe not the best idea. Increasing your overall ride frequency (i.e. stiffer springs) will help better in that sense.

You first have to understand how all these components effect a cars dynamics. An ARB is nothing more that a spring (just like the coilovers) but it only acts in roll. ARBs are great for tuning understeer/oversteer (US/OS) characteristics of a vehicle.

But beefing up the ARBs increase load transfer. Load transfer = bad. But its a bad things that has to happen unless the car has an infinite track width, or a CofG located on the ground. Reason ARBs are good for US/OS is that they change the amount of lateral force that the front or rear of the car is able to produce.

Stock... I think these cars are pretty good in terms of US/OS. Better set up change would be to go with stiffer spring package. Then reassess the need for change ARBs.