Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Talk to me about subframe connectors

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 12:57 AM

Talk to me about subframe connectors

What are the benefits? Better 60'? Saftey? Solider in the twisties? My car is a ttop car BTW.

I was thinking about ordering these BMR Subframe Connectors

I was wondering if BMR is good or if you suggust SLP or what not.... Also what would I expect to dish out to have them welded on? I have !cat with a muffler mounted where the cat is then straight pipes out back designed VERY similar to a loudmouth setup. Will I have any issues mounting them? Is this a good mod to start out with? Mods thus far are in my sig.

Do I want low clearance or boxed? My moms drive way is pretty steep so clearance is kinda a issue.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:14 AM
Former Vendor

Re: Talk to me about subframe connectors

Subframe connectors will benefit you in every aspect. The first thing is longevity of the vehicle. Most unibody vehicles will create rattles and squeaks over time as the chassis twists and flexes. You will also gain handling benefits as well as traction for straight line. Think of it this way, your suspension is only as good as the chassis it is attached to. When your chassis is flexing you will not be able to utilize the suspension geometry to its greatest potential. The first thing any vehicle should get is a good set of subframe connectors and other chassis stiffening components. This will allow you to keep your pickup points (control arm mounts and shock mounts) rigid and not flexing so your suspension will be able to work properly and not change in geometry uncontrollably. If you hit a pothole or push the car hard into a corner what do you want to move, your suspension or your chassis? You will want your suspension to move through its proper travel to keep the contact patch of the tire planted on the ground for greater control and better ride quality. You can visit our website for more info on subframe connectors or you can also email, call, or pm us with any questions you might have regarding subframe connectors or any other suspension questions.
Old 12-03-2005, 03:47 AM

hotpart:
Your prices are really good. But your site has no installation instructions (Don't feel bad, no one else does either.) Was wondering what exactly was needed to install your "Camaro- Round Tube Subframe Black #25102B". Is it a simple weld job? Or, do I have to remove some parts first, ect....
Old 12-03-2005, 09:33 AM

What is the difference between say a Round Low Clerance one and a boxed one? How much more clerance is there with round ones? Is the box one ALOT sturdier? How much would it cost to get installed? Would Joe Schmos Exhaust shop weld em in for me?
Old 12-03-2005, 10:56 AM
Former Vendor

samualt,
If you pm us with your email address I will send a set of instructions to you.

L32CamaroM5,
The round tube subframe connectors tuck up very nicely along the pinch welded rocker panel. They are designed to connect to the front subframe and then bend over to the rocker panel and then connect real close the to rear control arm mounting point. You are supposed to weld obviously in the front at the saddle mount as well as the back with the brackets. We have also designed these to be stitch welded to the rocker panel every few inches as well.
Our flat tube will hang down a little bit, around 1 inch so the ground clearance is not that big of an issue. In most cases the exhaust hangs lower than our subframe connectors. We charge 3 hours to install our triangle style and 2 hours to install the round tube. We do suggest having a competent exhaust shop do the work. I bet if you look around close to where you live you will find a shop that has installed them before or at least for other vehicles. Good luck on your decision and if you have any other questions feel free to contact us.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:11 PM

i have the SLP bolt ins. However, they are also spot welded in spots for added strength. i got the bolt in's cause they came powder coated, and i only had to paint the small areas were i welded. they hang about 1 inch below the bottom of the car. my exhaust sits about 1 inch lower than that. although...they saved my doors once when i jumped a curb :-). I really like the SLP's, but any box frame triagular subframe that is of good quality will do the same for you. since i installed them (about 2 hours in my garage) i have notieced a stiffer ride, better launches, and nicer cornering. I wouldnt recamned the bmr style that just follow the frame rail, as they do not ad as much support as the triangualr ones. if you want any more info on install, or some pics of how they look on the car and how low they hang...just let me know.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:46 PM

I am running the boxed style Weld ins from UMI, there is no ground clearance loss and they fit great. If I would have to do it again I would go with there 3-point design, it tucks up tight and adds addition support when a tunnel brace torque arm if used. Check them at the link http://www.umiperformance.com/Search...?CategoryID=42
Old 12-03-2005, 09:25 PM

Most of the advice given on subframes is wrong. Subframes do work but should not be your first handling mod.

Get good shocks and swaybars first. They will have a huge effect on the way the car handles. Subframes make the car more rigid but will not help control the suspension. That is the swaybar and shock's job.

If you have great shocks and swaybars and you want a little more handling, then get subframes.

Talk to Sam Strano at Strano parts.com or search under his name. Everybody will chime in and tell me I am wrong, but I have SLP DD so I know what they can do. Koni DA and a screw driver will affect handling more than subframes, that is the unpopular truth.

Stock springs good shocks bigger front bar and the car will ahndle great not drag on everything and still have a good ride.

Good Luck

Z28

Originally Posted by L32CamaroM5
What are the benefits? Better 60'? Saftey? Solider in the twisties? My car is a ttop car BTW.

I was thinking about ordering these BMR Subframe Connectors

I was wondering if BMR is good or if you suggust SLP or what not.... Also what would I expect to dish out to have them welded on? I have !cat with a muffler mounted where the cat is then straight pipes out back designed VERY similar to a loudmouth setup. Will I have any issues mounting them? Is this a good mod to start out with? Mods thus far are in my sig.

Do I want low clearance or boxed? My moms drive way is pretty steep so clearance is kinda a issue.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by L32CamaroM5
What is the difference between say a Round Low Clerance one and a boxed one? How much more clerance is there with round ones? Is the box one ALOT sturdier? How much would it cost to get installed? Would Joe Schmos Exhaust shop weld em in for me?
I installed Kenny Brown Three point type SFC's. I am very pleased with this brand SFC. Big difference in studiness even on a hardtop car. Made the car ride smoother over bumps & RR tracks (took some of the roughness out like a bigger car would handle bumps ect..) I am sure a good shop would do it. Just make sure you pick someone interested in doing it correctly even though it's not hard at all. Be sure it's done with the suspension loaded ( wheels not hanging). If you can find a friend with a mini mig welder you could do it. Or find a shop that does a little performance work and has interest in performace work. You'll like Three point SFC's with what ever brand you go but I like KB's because no clearance issues and ties car together very well.
Good luck!
Old 12-03-2005, 09:39 PM

I'm only 17 (almost 18 heh) so all my friends are in highschool and I cant say I would trust them with a welder on my baby. (I just got the car)
Old 12-03-2005, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Z28barnett
Most of the advice given on subframes is wrong. Subframes do work but should not be your first handling mod.
true...but subframes should be a first mod because they will benifit you in the long run. lessen rattles, and ttop leakage.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Z28barnett

Get good shocks and swaybars first. They will have a huge effect on the way the car handles. Subframes make the car more rigid but will not help control the suspension. That is the swaybar and shock's job.

If you have great shocks and swaybars and you want a little more handling, then get subframes.

Talk to Sam Strano at Strano parts.com or search under his name. Everybody will chime in and tell me I am wrong, but I have SLP DD so I know what they can do. Koni DA and a screw driver will affect handling more than subframes, that is the unpopular truth.

Stock springs good shocks bigger front bar and the car will ahndle great not drag on everything and still have a good ride.

Good Luck

Z28
I don't plan on racing it so I don't feel I need new shocks or anything. The car handles good... steering is really tight IMO. I just want to strengthen my unibody.. I won't get into autocrossing and what not untill I do a 6spd swap.

It's just my DD.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:12 PM
Former Vendor

Z28barnett you are correct but I think you are missing the point of what people and we are saying. Yes other suspension mods can yield a greater performance gain. What we are saying is you cannot take full advantage of those mods until you stiffen the chassis properly. The F-Body has a front and rear subframe which is connected to one another through only the middle portion of the chassis called a unibody. The suspension loads are designed to transmit through these front and rear subframes and into the unibody. The unibody is not strong enough to take all the loads and not flex and bend. By keeping the chassis as stiff as possible it will help to keep your spring rate consistent as well as your alignment, shock valving, sway bar rates, etc. It is impossible to properly tune a suspension if you do not know or cannot tell what is going to do next because it is moving under load.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by hotpart
Z28barnett you are correct but I think you are missing the point of what people and we are saying. Yes other suspension mods can yield a greater performance gain. What we are saying is you cannot take full advantage of those mods until you stiffen the chassis properly. The F-Body has a front and rear subframe which is connected to one another through only the middle portion of the chassis called a unibody. The suspension loads are designed to transmit through these front and rear subframes and into the unibody. The unibody is not strong enough to take all the loads and not flex and bend. By keeping the chassis as stiff as possible it will help to keep your spring rate consistent as well as your alignment, shock valving, sway bar rates, etc. It is impossible to properly tune a suspension if you do not know or cannot tell what is going to do next because it is moving under load.

hence why I feel it would be best to start out with SFC's.

I think I'm going to wait till after I buy some new tires... I damn near bought them last night from your ebay auction.

Hotpart - What brand is your Red Round Subframe Connector (#25102R)
Old 12-04-2005, 04:09 PM
Former Vendor

They are manufactured by our parent company J&M Products. Everything is manufactured in house.

Quick Reply: Talk to me about subframe connectors