Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Testing ABS

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 12:08 PM

Testing ABS

I dont think my ABS is working, I just never feel it pulse. Even today when I almost got in accident and my front tires locked up. How can you test abs?
Old 09-24-2005, 06:45 AM

Re: Testing ABS

First thing to do is turn the key on engine off and see if the ABS INOP light comes on and then goes off. Could be the bulb is burned out and not showing you have a problem. If it does not come on at all, SCAN for DTCs. If the ABS were not functioning, it should light the ABS INOP light. When the ABS activates in a braking situation, it will light the LOW TRAC light.
Old 09-24-2005, 07:16 AM

Also, at extremely low speeds ( less than 10 MPH for example) when you first start out, the ABS module should test itself by cycling. It makes an odd noise under the hood when it does this.

I would say that if you don't hear it doing this, that there's some kind of issue.

Oh, and I'm not positive, but I don't think you'll get any ABS codes by pulling DTC's. I think you'll have to take it to a dealer and let them use a Tech2 on it to talk to the ABS computer.
Old 09-24-2005, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by LWillmann
Also, at extremely low speeds ( less than 10 MPH for example) when you first start out, the ABS module should test itself by cycling. It makes an odd noise under the hood when it does this.

I would say that if you don't hear it doing this, that there's some kind of issue.

Oh, and I'm not positive, but I don't think you'll get any ABS codes by pulling DTC's. I think you'll have to take it to a dealer and let them use a Tech2 on it to talk to the ABS computer.
any regular full type scanner should be able to pull ABS codes
Old 09-24-2005, 08:16 AM
Administrator

PLEASE post on the correct form.... "ABS" doesn't belong on "LT1/LT4 Engine Tech".

Moving to "Suspension, Chassis and Brakes.
Old 09-24-2005, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by LWillmann

I hear that noise and see it flash when I first turn the car on and start to cruise at low speed just like you said. So I guess it is working...I guess this abs just isnt as sensative as my cavaliers. Thanks guys.