Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Are there any springs out there better than the Eibach Pro kit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 02:34 PM

Are there any springs out there better than the Eibach Pro kit?

I have a 97 TA and I'm looking for some lowering springs that'll lower my car the same as the pro kit (1.3 inches). I'm not looking to replace my stock shocks either. They have 40000 miles on them.

I've ridden in a car with the pro kit and it rode absolutely horribly--rough as hell. It made my TA feel like a cadillac.

Are there any springs out there that'll lower my car about the same as the pro kit but have a better ride than the eibachs?
Old 11-12-2006, 03:38 PM

NO aftetermarket springs will ride better with stock shocks. If you don't want to replace your shocks, you won't want to run aftermarket springs.

Time for a reevaluation.
Old 11-12-2006, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Greed4Speed
NO aftetermarket springs will ride better with stock shocks. If you don't want to replace your shocks, you won't want to run aftermarket springs.

Time for a reevaluation.
I know it won't ride better than stock. What I'm asking is what lowering spring has the best ride.

I'm getting them for the purpose of lowering the car. I don't care all that much about increasing the handling although that'd be nice.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:32 PM

You don't get it. Reread what I wrote. I didn't say ride better than stock I said it won't ride better WITH stock SHOCKS. As in shocks have a great bearing on ride quality. More than going from one spring manufacturer to the next.

Eibiotch springs are a bit on the soft side for their ride height as it is. Stock shocks are marginal with stock springs, do you really think they'll ride any better with another brand of spring? Other manufacturers with that much drop use more rate. Read stiffer ride.

Ya they may look good, but it'll ride rough no matter what springs you run unless you get better shocks.

If you want to go cheap just cut a coil out of the stock springs.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Greed4Speed
You don't get it. Reread what I wrote. I didn't say ride better than stock I said it won't ride better WITH stock SHOCKS. As in shocks have a great bearing on ride quality. More than going from one spring manufacturer to the next.

Eibiotch springs are a bit on the soft side for their ride height as it is. Stock shocks are marginal with stock springs, do you really think they'll ride any better with another brand of spring? Other manufacturers with that much drop use more rate. Read stiffer ride.

Ya they may look good, but it'll ride rough no matter what springs you run unless you get better shocks.

If you want to go cheap just cut a coil out of the stock springs.
Thanks for the advice, i guess.

If you read my original post, I said I'm looking for a spring with a better ride than the eibachs--softer.

1. I know the ride is going to be worse than stock if I use stock shocks. Sorry but I don't want to spend a grand on shocks just to lower the car.

2. I asked what springs would offer a better ride than Eibachs. I know what Eibachs feel like and I'd like a better ride than that.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:13 PM

i've always seen that Eibachs are the softest lowering springs for our cars. It's just something you can't get around. To lower the car, you'll need stiffer springs. Otherwise, you'll be bottoming out everywhere you go. It's a compromise you'll need to make. You want a lower car, you get a stiffer ride.

P.S. When you lower the car, you'll probably need new shocks. The stock ones aren't adequate for the stock springs and they won't last long with lowering springs.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:14 PM

40K miles on stock shocks is probably worn them out. so it would be absolutely pointless to put them BACK on. that's kindda like rebuilding an engine and leaving stock bearings in...all that work to leave worn out parts on. if nothing else upgrade to some cheap shocks.

you say you rode in a car with the eibachs...ok...well what shocks did it have? i'd be willing to bet the shocks are what made it feel like ****...not so much the spring.

and where the hell are you shopping that shocks are a $1000??? bilstiens are about $350 for the HDs, and i think you can get revalved ones from www.stranoparts.com for a bit more, and they will work in conjunction with the springs...MEANING...better ride!!!

sounds like you need to learn the physics behind lowering and suspension geometry before you go and order parts.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:21 PM

Yeah, I offered to help elsewhere (same question on another forum that I just happened to see first).

I'll reiterate my willingness to help. Sure I'd like to sell you parts, but I want to sell you the right parts. And you're hard-pressed to spend $1k on shocks. You can, but workable shocks for lowering springs start at around half of that.......