Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

things that make you go... what in the world

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 11:23 PM

things that make you go... what in the world

So I was going over a very tall dangerous bridge and all of a sudden pop. Car went ballistic, sudden change in the suspension as far as ride height and rearend location. Had to be the torque arm. Got it stopped, jacked it up( not an easy job with a car as low as mine). Yep torque arm, this is an aftermarket unit. Im not sure of who the maker was as I bought it from a parts sale at a street cruise. Tubular steel construction, welds look like butter, same dimensions as any typical aftermatket unit. I can't post pics cause I ain't git no learning lol. It broke at the weld where the assembly for adjusting the pinion angle joins the main tube. Just pow... all of a sudden. I have a spare but I was worried about any collateral damage. So I had it flat bedded the entire half mile home. Everything checked out.

So on with the new t/a, got the pinion angle set, tightened everything down and went to try it out. The car was dog walking terribly. I checked the lca's, the phb, no bent or broken parts. So I broke out the laser level, plumb bob, tape measure and a 6 pack, re centered the rearend, made triple sure that my center line was correct readjusted everything, tightened it all down, lubed the bearings on the spherical bearings with graphite impregnated grease, and set out again. Straight and true, but now all of a sudden my left rear tire smells like im doing burnouts. Its not skipping, no vibrations. When using a laser straight for comparison to the center line on both axis, it checks out. Fired it up and turned on the camera, set the laser straights on both rears, loaded the rearend by applying the brakes and pressing the gas, of course there's a slight change in the angle for a split instant, then right back it goes. I mean a small change do to the torque wrap. So what in the heck is it now? The car went ballistic at the bottom of the bridge, under no power, I was saving gas and in neutral coasting down. I felt a sudden change, and started wowing it up. I was almost stored, 15 mph or slower when the failure happened. Checking the axles now, and the bearings, this is a new rearend. IDEAS? Any help appreciated. Sorry for the book, but its all about the little details usually, in suspension failures anyhow., sorry for the typos,dang touchscreen keypad doesn't respond well for me.

Last edited by brandons94lt1; 07-27-2011 at 11:25 PM.