Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

thinking about raising

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 10:58 PM

thinking about raising

ive been thinking about raising my camaro about an inch or 2. i was just wondering about how much i would get charged at a mechanic. i dont want to go and get ripped off.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:10 AM

Re: thinking about raising

A lift kit for a Camaro? Tell me yours is lowered to start with. Anyway... why don't you call some places and ask them what they charge?
Old 06-22-2006, 08:37 AM
Administrator

First, what year is the car..... there have been a few different suspensions used in the 36 years that Camaros were produced???? A "signature" with basic info, like year, model, engine, tranny and any major mods helps people provide more acurate answers, and increases your chances of getting responses.

If its a 4th Gen, it depends what you are starting with. If its the stock suspension, and not already lowered, you're going to have to get some taller springs. You can install them yourself, although the fronts require a spring compressor (as rears might, also, if they are significantly taller than stock). I can't see anyone charging you for any more than 3 hours to do 4 springs.

Its also possible to shim the lower shock mount in the front to raise the ride height, and to stack upper seats on the rear, of add a spacer between the spring and the lower spring seat in the back.

If you raise it far enough above stock, you might need different shocks because of the longer extension. But once you pull the spring/shock assembly in the front, the labor cost is the same whether you do only springs, or springs and shocks.

Just curious.... why do you want to raise the ride height?

Last edited by Injuneer; 06-22-2006 at 08:39 AM.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:48 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Just curious.... why do you want to raise the ride height?
Please tell us you're not doing it so you can fit 22's in the wheel wells...
Old 06-22-2006, 08:34 PM

its a 2002 camaro with a v6. im not raising it to put 22's on it. i already have 18 inch c6 rims on it. theres no reason in particular that i want to raise it. i just want to try it out and see how it looks.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:46 PM

It will look like a 4x4, if anything it should be lowered.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:08 PM

Raising it woould look dumb in my opinion. But if you want to know what it will look like raised, next time you get an oil change and it goes on a lift look at the car then.
Old 06-24-2006, 08:30 AM

Hey to each his own. I agree my car would look better sitting up about one inch. Maybe its because i hate falling into a car and climbing out. With all my trucks i had to climb in and jump out,lol. Some camaros sit ok lowered and some just look squished. I prefer a little wheel well showing.
Old 06-24-2006, 10:25 AM

Then just leave it stock height. Raise it anymore and it might as well be a truck.
Old 06-24-2006, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Greed4Speed
Then just leave it stock height. Raise it anymore and it might as well be a truck.
As it is now i have no wheel well showing in the front and 2" in the rear, i just want it level. It looks like some one put a big block in it and didnt beef up the springs,lol
Old 06-26-2006, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator

That doesn't sound like stock ride height. There's nothing wrong with returning to stock.

Just don't go higher than stock. This picture shows what stock ride height looks like:

Old 06-27-2006, 11:00 PM

Mine's at stock height and i think it looks like crap. I just want to finish this auto-x season out in the stock class then i'm getting some springs. I can't wait to lower this thing.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:18 AM

Just install some LT1 stock springs in the front, that should raise the front about an inch. For the rear you could get a one inch rubber plate or something and put it under the upper spring mount. Should do the trick and be easily fixable when you return to your senses.

Re'
Old 06-28-2006, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
That doesn't sound like stock ride height. There's nothing wrong with returning to stock.

Just don't go higher than stock. This picture shows what stock ride height looks like:

My car sits much lower in the front than yours. I like the way your car sits and thats what i'm trying to get it to. Michigan roads are too rough around here, i keep scraping my bumper cover on things.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by michigan2500hd
My car sits much lower in the front than yours. I like the way your car sits and thats what i'm trying to get it to. Michigan roads are too rough around here, i keep scraping my bumper cover on things.
Did you buy your car new? Is it possible that you have aftermarket springs?

I'll bet there's someone on these boards that would trade you their stockers for your aftermarkets, and maybe even give you some cash at the same time.

Either that or yours are just sagging after nine years of Michigan roads...

Where in Michigan are you? The roads around me are pretty nice, and I'd eventually like to lower the car a bit... do you have any pics of your car that show the ride height?

Quick Reply: thinking about raising