Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Thirdgen front spring install lifting off of jackstands.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 11:40 AM

Thirdgen front spring install lifting off of jackstands.

(I searched and haven't found info on this.)

When I use the GM method of installing an IROC front spring, the whole front end will lift off of the jack stands. The engine is installed and I added 160 extra pounds to the front. At one point the entire front end started to shift, so obviously I'm looking for some advice on keeping this from happening. The only thing I think may affect this is the subframe connectors not allowing the body weight to shift to the other jack stand. (I'm making sure the A-arm clears the K-member.)

The arm is also angling quite a bit when it's lifted. I can start it out with the front angled down wards slightly and it will be angled the opposite way making it about an inch off for just the front bushing alone. It's not possible to angle it up with a screwdriver in this situation.

I've switched from lifting from the spring perch to moving it along the inner rail of the A-arm. Has anyone tried using two jacks to line up the rear bushing after the front is installed? There's too much of an angle to line up the rear and the cars lifts off of the jack stands as it is.

The car is angled slightly downwards to the front so it is already preset to have the most weight towards the front.

Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks
Old 12-10-2006, 01:44 PM

first only do one side at a time. keep the other tire on the ground and it will help with the weight thing. are you trying to change springs by removing the control arm mounting bolts or the ball joint. i prefer the ball joint and a buddy system unless i have a four post drive on hoist and my special tool. a very GOOD prybar is essential
Old 12-10-2006, 02:00 PM

That's a good idea about putting the other wheel on. Thanks! (Edit: I was getting too involved with installing it, and not thinking about other things I could do just in case.)

I have the strut and ball joint attached, trying to get the bushings up into the K-member. I haven't had much luck doing it from that side or using spring compressors either.

Last edited by Scorpner; 12-10-2006 at 05:02 PM.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:52 PM

I put the other wheel on, 4x6's under the other side frame rail and brought 450 lbs of free weights up from the basement and all around the car so I didn't have to worry about the car shifting off of the jack stands. It went really smooth after I didn't have to worry as much about being crushed.

Afterwards, I jacked it up by the A-arm with the weight still in the car. There wasn't much movement until it lifted off of the jack stand, but the spindle looked parallel.