Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Thought's on Spohn.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 08:09 AM

Thought's on Spohn.

I'm about to make a fairly large order from Spohn in a few weeks and I just wondered if you guys could give me your thoughts on their products? Everything as far as suspension on my car is stock. Here's what I wanting,

Pro-Series rear drag swat bar
Lower Control Arms
Panhard Bar
Torque Arm
Driveshaft

The only thing that I didn't see on their site was SFC's Got any suggestions on a good set? Also, am I forgeting anything?
Old 04-01-2006, 09:41 AM

Re: Thought's on Spohn.

Originally Posted by cg4743
I'm about to make a fairly large order from Spohn in a few weeks and I just wondered if you guys could give me your thoughts on their products? Everything as far as suspension on my car is stock. Here's what I wanting,

Pro-Series rear drag swat bar
Lower Control Arms
Panhard Bar
Torque Arm
Driveshaft

The only thing that I didn't see on their site was SFC's Got any suggestions on a good set? Also, am I forgeting anything?
They are a top notch company in my opinion. I have ordered my entire rear suspension from them. I ordered most of the stuff directly from their site with the exception of the subframe connectors as I did not see them on there either. However, www.speed-eng.com (oneof the boards supporting vendors) does carry the Spohn weld-in subframe connectors. I think I paid 150 bucks for the pair.
Old 04-01-2006, 01:26 PM
Administrator

I've got a lot of Spohn parts, and they are excellent. I also saw him crawl under my buddy's 30th SS convertible, and get the car set up to pull 1.30 60-fts, when before that the car couldn't get out of the 1.4's. Spohn is a small shop, run by a father/son team, with several additional employees.

He doesn't make subframe connectors for the 93-97 4th Gens, only the 98-02 cars. There is a difference in the fuel line routing that requires a change to the connection to the driver's side front subframe, and he hasn't had time to make the changes in the design.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend their parts.
Old 04-01-2006, 01:42 PM

I just put a set of lower a-arms....amazing build and great welds!

-Justin
Old 04-01-2006, 06:47 PM

For the SFC's look into UMI, they have several to choose from.
Old 04-02-2006, 07:52 AM

yes UMI has some good looking SFC's I've been thinking about getting a set of
the 3-point ones. Here's a link:http://www.umiperformance.com/fbody.aspx
Old 04-02-2006, 02:28 PM

I use lots of Spohn stuff, too. I live an hour from their shop and am one of the few walk in customers. Steve and Gordon are great to deal with and build some fine parts. Their stuff helped me to consistent 1.55 60's with big wheels all around.

--Alan
Old 04-02-2006, 08:40 PM

is there anything wrong with the bolt on design of the 3 point compared to the weld on one? cause i think i remember people not reccomending the bolt on one?
Old 04-02-2006, 09:18 PM

I met Steve at one of the car shows at the Carlisle fair grounds a few years back when my buddy was buying relocation brackets and other odds and ends for his setup.
Steve was super nice and helpful. Not sure how much business they were getting because I haven't seen them back there but they were a diamond in the rough among the other vendors.
Old 04-02-2006, 09:45 PM

Another thumbs up for Spohn. I have their transmission mounted torque arm. Very nice construction.
Old 04-02-2006, 10:19 PM

Im only about 20 min from there shop steve is great, I got a lot of there stuff on my car and was even working with them on there K member for LT1 cars that should soon be out he just has to make the motor mounts for it yet,Ill be replacing my PA racing K member with his as soon as he has them made, I had bought one of the first sets of front upper and lower A arms from him to. right now hes going nuts with orders, its just mostly him and his dad, they came a long way sence they first started, there in a lot bigger building now and have some better stuff to work with.
Old 04-07-2006, 01:33 PM

I'm running everything in your list from Spohn and more. All of their stuff is high quality and they have excellent customer support. Broke a rear TA mounting bracket and Steve sent me a new one, no charge, even though the problem resulted from a design flaw on the Moser rear. Steve also sold me their rear coil over set up which also is a fine piece, but again be prepared to modify your shock mounts if your running a Moser rear. I ended up having to order a set of Competition Engineering rear shock mounts and welding them to the Moser. Actually worked out good because now I have rear adjustment options, both from the shocks and the lower shock mount.

BTW if you are contemplating an upgraded rear I'd go with the Strange. The Moser is a fine piece except for the non-throughbolt TA mount. I finally ended up tack welding the TA mounting bolts because they would eventually back out. Tried everything before welding them, red Loctite, using a very large and strong friend with a big wrench, nothing worked until the weld.

Edit:

BTW I'm running BMR sub frames, the weld on variety and they fit fine. You lose a little ground clearance so you have to be careful when you're getting on a lift or a trailer, but otherwise zero issues.

Last edited by 93ZM6Tally; 04-07-2006 at 01:38 PM.