Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Thouhgts on Brake Rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 04:20 PM

i got the irotors about six months back i have put around a thousand hard driven miles on them and they seem to be pretty solid all around, i have yet to have any problems with them
Old 07-15-2010, 01:46 PM

Yep, thought I would chime in for budget rotors/pads as well.

I have had Duralast rotors from Autozone on my car for the last couple years (~7,000 miles) and one two-day HPDE weekend last year. The HPDE was at a fast track with braking from 140mph to 70mph going in to turn one. I did over 100 miles on track in that weekend and that was with Autozone pads.

Call me crazy, but they were just fine. Obviously, initial bite went away fast (not really there to begin with) and they started to fade and stink after a few laps, but not dangerously so. Instructor said, "it smelled like a semi dropped a clutch when those brakes got hot" but he was impressed that they kept working and were never scary. Those rotors and pads are still on the car today with no vibration or problems of any kind. I will be upgrading the pads and brake fluid at a minimum before I run another event though, just to be safe.

Duralast rotors get an A+ from me. More expensive is not always better, take it from someone who grew up thinking it was. That was a hard, but great lesson to learn.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:40 PM

I stick with name-brands

I agree with most here, that brakes are not something to cheap out on. If you do some research, you can usually match the price of the cheapo's and still get a name brand, lifetime warranty part.

I just bought Centric premium rotors from Rock Auto for $40 ea. The major difference is the quality of steel used. Also these were painted around the hub and fins. The $30 rotors may likely be shot before the pads are, and rust badly while in storage over the winter. I've also been taking advantage of Advance Auto's online coupon codes to save a few bucks. Some are as good as $20 off $50. It's a great way to get ready for the next job without braking the bank, or settling for Chinese junk.