Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Which tie rods do I need to replace?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 01:01 AM

Which tie rods do I need to replace?

Just about the only thing that hasn't been replaced in my suspension is tie rods. My steering is loose and I'm wondering if I need to replace the outer ones only or do I need to replace both inner and outer?
Thanks.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:05 PM

Re: Which tie rods do I need to replace?

What? Nobody knows?

Come guys, this is just about the only thing I HAVEN'T done on my car yet. Sounds like I have to get under the car and see what's going on myself.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:12 PM

Have you replaced the steering rack? If so then you need to replace the outers. Just grab ahold of one and twist it and see which one moves then replace accordingly. Steven
Old 02-10-2005, 11:14 PM

No I haven't replaced the steering rack. Is that easier than just replacing the inner tie rods? Where can I get one?
Thanks!
Old 02-10-2005, 11:21 PM

If the inners are loose or you question the integrity of the steering rack i say just replace it and for a few more bucks you can replace the outers also. Most auto parts stores can get you a steering rack and go with quality tie rods like TRW or Moog. Steven
Old 02-10-2005, 11:22 PM

Do you have any idea if the LS1 rack is the same?
From this picture, what is the actual rack? (is it basically everything minus the outer ties?)

Thanks a lot!!!
Old 02-10-2005, 11:28 PM

All those parts assembled as a unit is the steering rack assembly. I am not sure if an LS1 rack is the same ..........any good parts store or dealer could tell you that. Some racks do come with the outer tie rods also. Steven
Old 02-11-2005, 01:16 AM

Ion, I'm pretty sure the racks aren't the same.. Did you replace the rag joint, that will always make the steering feel very sloppy. I replaced mine with a unit from Unbalanced Engineering. As far as tie rods, I believe the only aftermarket ones offered are the set from Baer, and they're pricey.
Old 02-11-2005, 09:22 AM

Yea, I placed an order for the eliminator. I also did a search and it looks like the LS1 rack should fit without any problems. (also looked in the parts catalog and pretty much all the parts had the same part numbers between the years)

I might try to do tie rod ends and rag joint first, then think about the rack. I don't have a lag between the steering wheel and tires, but it's just too easy to turn it. So I don't think I need a rack but just tie rods.
Thanks!
Old 02-16-2005, 11:21 AM

Your rack and pinion are fine. Just lift the front of your car up and shake each wheel left to right and check for any loose/worn out tie rods. Outer's are more common to wear first.

They are plenty of brands out there, Moog, Tread Saver etc... all are probly in stock at your closest auto part store. IF you want something pricey, look at RKSport.com

The last thing you would need is the rack. Most of the time those are replace because of leaky seals. And are not easy/fun to do.

This is what I do for a living
Old 02-26-2005, 10:08 AM
NJSPEEDER24

Originally Posted by ZPaul2Fresh8
Your rack and pinion are fine. Just lift the front of your car up and shake each wheel left to right and check for any loose/worn out tie rods. Outer's are more common to wear first.

They are plenty of brands out there, Moog, Tread Saver etc... all are probly in stock at your closest auto part store. IF you want something pricey, look at RKSport.com

The last thing you would need is the rack. Most of the time those are replace because of leaky seals. And are not easy/fun to do.

This is what I do for a living
Great info here. Outers will wear way more often than the inners, if the inners even EVER wear at all..