Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Time for new rotors, Any decent replacements?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 01:35 PM

Time for new rotors, Any decent replacements?

The passengerside front rotor is vibrating like hell / loose as hell / thin as hell / warped as hell... I wanted to go with something alittle better than stockers, yet I'm not quite in the position to shell out $100 per rotor. Not saying it's MUCH it's just I've got quite a book more things I need to take care of before I start seriously modding my car. Any decent rotors out under $100 a pop?
Old 05-04-2006, 01:37 PM
Banned

Re: Time for new rotors, Any decent replacements?

autozone, make sure you get the three year warrenty

I change mine every 6 months

i think it was 50 each for the fronts and 60 for the backs
Old 05-04-2006, 02:58 PM

Irotors.com

I have had them on 3 Cars now and they rock for the price.... Make sure to get the Zinc Coating to keep the non contact points looking nice and rust free.

About $275 for all 4 with the Zinc Coating
Old 05-04-2006, 10:10 PM

Just make sure the front rotors weigh more than 18lbs and don't fall for all the x-drilled propaganda and you'll do fine.

I would recommend where I got mine, but they seem to be having some customer service issues....but for less than the irotor price I got all 4 rotors, zinc coated with Axxis pads.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Greed4Speed
make sure the front rotors weigh more than 18lbs
Why?
Old 05-04-2006, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
Why?
Because he drives a race car and thats what race car drivers do

I would just buy a set from Napa or Advanced (for example) and not get their cheapest set. X drilled isn't propoganda but make your own decision if they are worth it for your application.
Old 05-05-2006, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
Why?
On 98+ f-body brakes the stock front rotors are ~16lbs. We all know how easily the warp. A good replacement rotors weighs over 18 lbs. If it doesn't, its a cheap light casting and will have the same issues as stock.
Old 05-05-2006, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator

My stock brake rotors are fine.

Regardless, I don't see how the weight of a rotor would have any direct influence on its tendency to warp.
Old 05-05-2006, 05:20 PM

Brembo blanks
Old 05-05-2006, 06:05 PM

I never claimed it was all about warping.
Rotors are a heat sink. More mass means it takes more prolonged friction to get them hot enough to cause the pads to fade and the more prolonged friction it'll take before the heat gets trasferred to the calipers and the brake fluid. This mean you can brake harder and longer and still retian good braking characteristics when compared to stock.

As for warping though, more mass means they'll also cool slower and heat slower. The quicker the intervals between heating and cooling metals, the more tendency it has of warping.

Also since running heavier than stock rotors, I have never had to check the torque of the lug nuts and the rotors have never warped. Even on my wife's car after she had some work done and they used an impact wrench. For the stockers I could always tell when they had becuase the brakes would pulse more and yet they would pulse less after I loosened the lugs and retightened them by hand.

I don't know about you, but to me that means the stockers were easily pulled out of shape just by the lugs alone where as the replacement blanks aren't.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator

That's all well and good, but my stock rotors have 53,000 miles on them and I have never had to do any of that either.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:58 AM

You've been lucky. Its a very common problem in many GM cars.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:24 AM

very common problems on GM cars are faulty switches and bad wiring. i've never heard of tightening the lugs with a torque stick and having problems. i've had my camaro since 00 and since have had no problems with the torque stick. i had some problems with cheapo slotted rotors and pads but have replaced them with the 20 rotors from autozone and have no problems.

it's true that rotors are sinks, but you also have to think about thickness and safety. a weight can't tell you that they are within specs or that the thickness of the hub, and not the rotor, is within specs. stick with name brand rotors and pads and you shouldnt have a problem. as for checking the torque of the lugs...that should be done every time you change the oil, if not the first hundred miles after replacing wheels. every time you put wheels back on the car and they are ALUMINUM, you should check after about 100 miles. nobody does, but any seller of wheels will tell you to.
Old 05-07-2006, 09:24 AM

Stock rotors warping is a very common problem. Just do a little searching on various GM boards and see.
Old 05-07-2006, 10:22 AM

i too am replacing the rotors on my camaro.

When I did this on my 3rd gen, I went ahead and replaced the bearings. Are the front bearings the same on 4th gen? Sorry...dont want to pull off the wheels today just to look.

Quick Reply: Time for new rotors, Any decent replacements?