Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Time to upgrade front brakes

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 06:11 PM

Time to upgrade front brakes

With the pending H/C engine update in a couple of weeks. I think it's time to upgrade the front brakes with a big brake kit. I have put together a C5 upgrade kit for only $700 total.

The parts are:
UMI conversion brackets.
ZO6 front Calipers.
Satisfied Grand Sport GS6 Ceramic high performance pads.
ATE Slotted Rotors.
Can't wait till I finish this one.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:07 PM

Re: Time to upgrade front brakes

personally i'd do different pads.....especially with the slotted rotors. if you have an extremely hard pad and a rotor that's really expensive then you'll be replacing them frequently. either go with rotor blanks or something like hawk hp+ or ebc green stuff pads. possibly some of the higher end stock replacement pads.

other than that you're good.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:25 PM

And don't forget the fresh fluid.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:24 PM

I don't know what's on the car now, but I'm thinking nothing special pads. I'd upgrade to real pads, good fluid and lines first, while keeping stock LS1 calipers and rotors and see what you get.

Pads stop the car, regardless of anything else. 90% of the folks who do that find the need for a Z06 setup or more unnecessary afterward.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I don't know what's on the car now, but I'm thinking nothing special pads. I'd upgrade to real pads, good fluid and lines first, while keeping stock LS1 calipers and rotors and see what you get.

Pads stop the car, regardless of anything else. 90% of the folks who do that find the need for a Z06 setup or more unnecessary afterward.
Well, right now I have Brembo slotted rotors and Satisfied Grand Sport 6 pads (which replaced the Hawk HPS pads) and they work well but I am looking for a little better braking performance due to an extra 100 RWHP being installed this week. I also already have good fluid and stainless steel brake lines. We are not all complete idiots as you seem to assume!
Old 10-10-2006, 06:34 AM

You will get a little better braking going to 13" rotors, but your not going to notice any difference with the Z06 calipers at all. The difference between them and LS1 calipers is minimal. They arfe stronger but you will never notice it on the street.

The pads you are using are good. Be careful using more aggressive pads as many of them don't do squat until they get a significant amount of heat in them.

What are you doing in the rear?? I'd upgrade the pads if you haven't already. I'd also remove the guts of the stock proportioning valve and install an adjustable one. You can gain a significant amount of braking by sending more pressure to the rear brakes.

My current setup uses LS1 front and rear brakes with C5 calipers on the front, russel braided hoses, Powerslot rotors F & R, Hawk HPS pads F & R, and the stock proportioning valve removed (still have ABS). It works awsome, hard braking will nearly pull your eyes out!
Old 10-10-2006, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by SOMSS
Well, right now I have Brembo slotted rotors and Satisfied Grand Sport 6 pads (which replaced the Hawk HPS pads) and they work well but I am looking for a little better braking performance due to an extra 100 RWHP being installed this week. I also already have good fluid and stainless steel brake lines. We are not all complete idiots as you seem to assume!

You said you were autocrossing. The extra 100rwhp will make no difference in autocrossing. The LS1 brakes with good pads are more than enough brake for any autocross course I have ever seen. Unless you're road course racing you just wont see the difference, and as I said at LS2.com, the vette brakes will do little if any to help you in a one-stop panic stop on the street, regardless of the car's power level. The braking threshold of the car (ie the amount of braking force the car can put down on street tires) can be achieved with stock LS1 brakes and upgraded pads. You will overwhelm the stock antilock setup anyway. But get them for looks anyway, they look cool.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:29 AM

We are not all complete idiots as you seem to assume!
He gave pretty good advice, i'm not sure how that was treating you like an idiot.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:39 AM

Oh relax! It's amazing how I'm supposed to be a damned mind-reader. You said NOTHING AT ALL about your current brakes. How in the hell was I supposed to know? Further, you have 12" brakes now, moving to 13's isn't a huge upgrade. Acutally for autox in classes it's allowed, a lot of C4 vettes move BACK to 12's for less unsprung weight.

So, maybe you are an idiot for jumping on my back when you didn't give any details?
Old 10-11-2006, 12:14 PM
Administrator

Calm down. You could have posted the info about your current brakes in the initial post and saved everyone a bit of grief. Your signature indicates a Z06 conversion, but in fact you appear to have some other system installed in the car. As Sam noted, we are not mind readers.

I hardly think your comments are in any way justified.... Sam made an honest attempt to help you and you decided to be offended by it and blast him.... not the way to make people want to help you in the future.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I don't know what's on the car now, but I'm thinking nothing special pads.

sam never called you an idiot
first words out of his mouth were "i dont know"
Old 10-15-2006, 06:12 PM

With the pending H/C engine update in a couple of weeks. I think it's time to upgrade the front brakes with a big brake kit. I have put together a C5 upgrade kit for only $700 total.
At least you have the LS1 brakes. You dont know crappy inerior brakes till you have had 93-97 LT1 brkes.