Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Tire wearing uneven

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 08:57 PM

Tire wearing uneven

Ok I noticed that my front drivers side tire is wearing off on the outside. So far I disconnected all the ball joints and tried to move the studs, they are still very stiff. I also disconnected the outer tie rods and while they are not so stiff (I can spin them but they stand up on their own... and I have had worse) I dont think they are causing the tire wear. With all the tie rods connected and the car stopped, I had the steering wheel turned while the wheels are on the ground to give a load, I did not see any play on the outer tie rods. What I did feel and could see was a slight "popping" on the drivers inner tie rod (unusual to wear before the outer tie rods).

Now here is the strange part, with the outer drivers side tie rod disconnected and the steering wheel being turned, the inner drivers tie rod still had that "popping". Is this normal or is something in the rack and pinion messed up? Since the "popping" is only happening on the drivers side could something inside the rack and pinion be causing the tire wear?

I have had to get realignments just about every year for the last 3 years for drivers side tire wear. (What is strange too is that the wear looks more consistant with camber wear rather than toe wear).
Old 05-19-2010, 08:57 PM

If it was a toe problem both outer edges should be worn. It sounds like the camber is off. I would have the camber lowered on that side. You could try doing a cradle adjustment and equilizing the specs side to side If it is maxed out and can't go in anymore.The popping noise i don't know. You might be stuck with bad tire wear as nature of the beast.