Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Tires spin without much effort - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 05:29 PM

Tires spin without much effort - Help!

I'm sure the cold weather has something to do with it, seeing that the colder denser air is adding power, and the cold tires not gripping as much, but it breaks loose at 30+ mph without much effort on dry pavement.

If I'm cruising along and floor it the rear end breaks loose and the car starts fishtailing. If I just roll into it it does much better but when the trans kicks down it will loose traction even if I'm not at wot.

I don't have much power bolt ons, ftra, lid, magnaflow catback. But I do have suspension upgrades. KBDD, tubular pan bar, tubular lca, hose mod, front 32mm sway bar. I also only have 2.73 gears.

The reason I ask is the other day I drove out to my friends house who lives at a local cruise spot. I left at about 11:30-12:00am and to my supprise people were cruising in 15*f weather. I wasn't about to hang around so I just started driving home. This gang of mustangs pulls up to me and a 4.6l mustang pulled right up next to me. They rolled their window down and asked to race. I told them it would be useless because I'd get no traction. We get moving and he gets next to me and asked again. I told him the same and he kinda talked me into it. It was late and no one was in front of us so why not. We both get on it about the same time and I was just rolling into the throttle and as sure as s**t the tires spun and I felt it kick out a little and I let off so to regain traction and called it quits. My winter wheels have plenty of tread on them, it's just if I get on it they break loose way to easy. Shouldn't it grip a little better than that?
Old 02-01-2005, 10:52 AM

Re: Tires spin without much effort - Help!

Yeah, they should. Guess your winter tires aren't meant for racing. I would say get a TA. If you don't want to drop that much coin, a poly TA mount would help.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:19 PM

Even if I'm not trying to race, even just accelerating from a turn to keep up with traffic can cause it to kick out. I have a poly trans mount. The tires on the wheels aren't winter tires either. They are regular brand gt something. Can't remember. I don't remember having much trouble with this last winter. I noticed that after I did the hose mod drop I got just over 1" of drop and it didn't quite feel like it used to traction wise. Maybe I'll remove the hose mod and see what's what.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:39 PM

off topic how do u like ur poly trans mount?
Old 02-01-2005, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by CamaroSS30thAnn
off topic how do u like ur poly trans mount?
Around town I imediately noticed more driveline vibration, not a whole lot but I noticed, no one else who has ridden in my car can notice it though. On the freeway is where you really feel it but mostly when accelerating, cruising seems to be fine though.

It firms up the shifts a little, you can deffinitly tell when it shifts. Also, the engine doesn't shift around as much as it used to. On a whole, I think it's a worth while mod, I easily learned to ignore the vibration it causes and am looking forward to poly motor mounts.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:27 PM

What's the hose mod? If your vehicle is lowered, perhaps you need LCA relocation brackets. Does the frame end of the LCA sit lower than the axle end? IIRC, it should be level. But I think it would be better to have the axle end lower than the frame end if you couldn't get it level.

I'd temporarily remove that mod and see how it compares
Old 02-02-2005, 09:02 PM

The hose mod is a next to free 1" drop in the back to basically level out the car. You remove the rubber isolators from the top of the rear springs and replace them with 5/8" hose slipped over the first 1 1/2 coils on the spring.

I think I figured out some of my problem. I've had my exhaust pretty much removed from the Y back for a little while. I was going to sell my Magnaflow and save up for something better. I put the factory I pipe on and just dumped it before the axle since it was too cold out to mess with getting the whole factory cat back back on. I put the Magnaflow catback back on today since I decided to keep it and now it still spins them at a roll but not as easily and not as extreme. I think the added weight and exhaust flow resistance helped keep it under control.