Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Torque arm

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 09:21 PM

Question Torque arm

I have a 99 T-top lowered 1 1/2". Do I NEED an adj t arm or will a non-adj be ok? I want to put a conv in, but I think I should try to hook up first!
Old 01-17-2005, 10:10 PM

Re: Torque arm

Originally Posted by 1stls1
I have a 99 T-top lowered 1 1/2". Do I NEED an adj t arm or will a non-adj be ok? I want to put a conv in, but I think I should try to hook up first!
Last time i check, anytime you drop ride height you should go with adj. suspension parts.

Someone please post up if this is not 100% true. Thats what i was always told anyways.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:22 PM

Yes please, but thanks. I dont want to have to pay for the adj if I dont have to. Also, I dont want to have to worry if I have it adj right. That brings me to another ?. How do you adj correctly?
Old 01-18-2005, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by Firehawk_Dude
Last time i check, anytime you drop ride height you should go with adj. suspension parts.

Someone please post up if this is not 100% true. Thats what i was always told anyways.

That applies mostly to an adjustable panhard bar in particular, so you can re-center the axle underneath the car. The adjustable torque arm's adjustability is only to change the pinion angle. You use an angle finder and the adjuster to set the correct angle. I dont remember where exactly most people set them for street duty, I think it was -1 or -2 degrees, someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 01-18-2005, 05:40 AM

5.0this, so you are saying I dont need an adj?
Old 01-18-2005, 05:21 PM

You do need an adjustable TA to realign the pinion angle if your car is lowered. Its going to be worth the money and it is almost a necessity to do.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:17 AM

5.0this, so you are saying I dont need an adj?

Most all people that lower their cars do not have an adjustable torque arm. Unless you're extreme hardcore racer (drag or autorcrosser), then you dont really need to mess with your pinion angle with damn near any lowering spring available.
Old 01-19-2005, 01:28 AM

You definately need an adjustable panhard rod, and probably some control arm relocation brackets. However, an adjustable torque arm is overkill at this point.

And yes, it's -1 degrees.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Bone Daddy
You definately need an adjustable panhard rod, and probably some control arm relocation brackets. However, an adjustable torque arm is overkill at this point.

And yes, it's -1 degrees.
I was told, from Thunder Racing, -2. I'll have to dig up the email when i get home.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:22 AM

Yep, like stated above it's -1 or -2, but most people run -1 that I've ran into. I decided on -1 when I was advised by Spohn to do so. No problems so far, but maybe I should try -2.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:24 PM

Why discourage something that will although now might seem like overkill to some people but in the long run will be very benificial. If you want the best performance from the torque arm then get the adjustable one. Eventually you will want one so why spend even more money in the long run because you will have an inadequete torque arm in the non adjustable one that you wont be able to sell for probably more then $100. Then you will have to purchase an adjustable one for $300 or so then youve spent twice as much as you need. If you plan on having a badass motor then get the adjustable one.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:27 PM

I'm pretty sure that the OEM factory Torque Arm Bar is -2 degrees. Also, aftermarket non-adjustable Torque Bars is -2 degrees and that would be for the street. For advanced users like Drag Racing, you would want an adjustable Torque Arm so you can make adjustments on and off the track. I would probably do a search on that to see if you need an adjustable bar and see what benefits you acheive and if it suits you. If you havent already, you might need a Panhard Bar and it would be helpful to have an adjustable bar that adjusts at the ends. Panhard Bars center the rear end since it shifts when you lower it. I'm lowering my car as well and was told to stay away from bars that adjust at the center but get bars that adjust at the ends instead. I assumed bars that adjust at the center might experience flex and bend easier or with my luck break, but why chance it. Those spherical rod ends seem like the ones to get but a poly end with a spherical end on one side is fine too. I would search on that as well since some make more road noise than others (if thats a concern) As for me, I'm about to get some relocation brackets for the controls arms before I buy a Torque arm and see if that makes any difference with planting the wheels before I spend some Buck$$ on a Torque Arm.
Old 01-20-2005, 07:44 PM

I do have a adj panhard bar and lower control arms w/ relocating brks. I was told today by 1 of the sponsors(?) that the non adj torque arms are set at -2 already, w/ a lowered car, that takes that -2 away. I guess I will get the adj, I just wanted to make sure I did need 1. I do want to but the best, the 1st time, as long as I do need it.
Old 01-21-2005, 01:13 PM

hmmm, I would ask around about the lowering of a car affecting the degree of the torque arm settings. I'm ganna ask a few shops about that because thats doesnt really sound right but I didn't think about that, are you sure thats true?

I do have a adj panhard bar and lower control arms w/ relocating brks. I was told today by 1 of the sponsors(?) that the non adj torque arms are set at -2 already, w/ a lowered car, that takes that -2 away. I guess I will get the adj, I just wanted to make sure I did need 1. I do want to but the best, the 1st time, as long as I do need it.
Old 01-21-2005, 02:21 PM

The stock torque arm is not adjustable. Therefore any lowering will deviate it from the stock setting and throw off the degree of the angle.

Quick Reply: Torque arm