Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Torque arm

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 03:43 PM

Re: Torque arm

I bought a non-adjustable and now wish I had spent a little more for an adjustable one the first time. If you plan on getting the most out of your suspension, get the adjustable one, it'll save you money in the long run. My car isn't lowered and I get no wheel hop in forward with a non-adj. Edelbrock TA but if I accidently light 'em up in reverse, it wheel hops bad. Anybody know if this is normal?
Old 01-21-2005, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Nut
... if I accidently light 'em up in reverse, it wheel hops bad. Anybody know if this is normal?
Yes it's normal, the rear suspension geometry isn't built to launch in reverse, and an adjustable TA won't change that. Just check your gear before you mash the gas pedal

Dave
Old 01-22-2005, 01:45 AM

Yea dude I gotta say that while getting the adjustable torque arm is definatly the way to go, getting rid of your non adjustable torque arm because you get wheel hop when you light them up in reverse is the stupidest thing ive ever heard. Its very simple, dont light them up in reverse you f#cking idiot.
Old 01-22-2005, 04:00 AM
Texas Moderator (1998-2009)

Originally Posted by SnakeSkinner28
Its very simple, dont light them up in reverse you f#cking idiot.
Do you feel better now?

No need for namecalling...
Old 01-23-2005, 02:11 AM

Yea when someone is dumb enough to lightem up in reverse and wheel hop then blame his torque arm, they need to be told just how stupid they are.
Old 01-26-2005, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by Z28Nut
I bought a non-adjustable and now wish I had spent a little more for an adjustable one the first time. If you plan on getting the most out of your suspension, get the adjustable one, it'll save you money in the long run. My car isn't lowered and I get no wheel hop in forward with a non-adj. Edelbrock TA but if I accidently light 'em up in reverse, it wheel hops bad. Anybody know if this is normal?
You do realize that ring and pinion gears are cut for the majority of strength in forward motion only, right? It's a lot easier to snap a tooth in reverse.

On another note, it would be nice if people could share their opinions about someone else's behavior without namecalling. Any point you were trying to get across to him is almost guaranteed to be ignored.
Old 01-27-2005, 05:31 PM

You WANT the adjustable one. Once you relize what it does you'll want the adjustable one. You don't NEED it--to a certian degree---the car will still go down the road and drive just about like stock. But when you put some real tires on there, you are more likely to shear off some teeth on the ring gear.....since they won't be mating correctly--as they are ment to. It will be hitting on less surface area, causing it to be weaker. So what the TQ arm does is hold the pinion in the correct position for the ring gear in the housing...you don't want that to be off or it lessons the durability or your gears and soon you'll have a blown rear end, unless you drive gently on it--and no good hooks. Basically if you are adding a TQ arm you get the adjustable, with no questions.....otherwise you'd take off the stock one--weld up some tubing for re-inforcement--so it would not flex as much and there is you new TQ arm and it would be just about as good as an aftermarket one.

The pinion angle can be set either -1 or -2 depending on how much bite you want. -2 degrees will result in better traction so that's where you'd want to run it.

So what all that means is.....BUY THE ADJUSTABLE ONE...expecially if you are looking for maximum traction.....or else don't buy one at all.
Old 01-27-2005, 05:35 PM

by the way for those that like to light them up in reverse, i suggest putting some lower control arms on the backside of the rear end, along with the normal ones. You'd have 4 LCA's then lol
Old 01-28-2005, 07:25 PM

Ok, ok, when I get a TA, it will be an adj! Spinning in reverse is fun if that is the only way you can!