Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Torque arm dilema...this is a tough one...

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 02:32 PM
Admin Emeritus

Red face Torque arm dilema...this is a tough one...

On my car, I have BMR STB, LCA, PHB.

Ready to be installed are BMR tubular SFCs (not boxed because my car is lowered with DMS springs), relocation brackets, and...a BMR Trak Pak.

My car is no drag strip king and probably won't ever be. I may do heads and cam, maybe some nitrous, but I think it will always be a street car but I still want it to accelerate and handle as best as it can.

I like BMR products, they seem to fit the bill well. My concern is over the Trak Pak.

First of all, I have heard there is a lot of creaking and groaning when using a Trak Pak. Then I heard that it happens only when it is not adjusted right. I would hate to get it installed and have it make all kinds of noises.

Second, since my car is lowered and I want to keep as much ground clearance as possible, I wonder where the cross-brace will go. Does it hang lower than the SFCs? Is it visible without crawling under the car? When installing, do I have to remove any interior pieces? I guess anyone who has this on their car can shed some light on it.

But in spite of all of my questions, it may not even matter. As you can tell, I am very iffy about the BMR unit, and new I see the similar Spohn unit and it really seems like it will address my concerns. I like how there is no welding involved and how it bolts to the factory pads of the car. In addition, they make one specifically for cars with long tube headers, which I have. However, I am not sure if my ground clearance issuse comes into play with that one.

We could argue all day long about who's quality is better, I am not as concerned with that because in my opinion, they both make great products but it is more the design that I am concerned about.

I suppose I am leaning to getting rid of my BMR and going with the Spohn and I want to make sure that I am heading in the right direction based on my wants, my needs and the thoughts of those here who have experiece in the matter.

Or should I ditch both ideas and just get a regular trans-mounted torque arm and be done with it?
Old 05-18-2004, 02:49 PM

Re: Torque arm dilema...this is a tough one...

Originally posted by JasonD
On my car, I have BMR STB, LCA, PHB.
I like BMR products, they seem to fit the bill well. My concern is over the Trak Pak.

First of all, I have heard there is a lot of creaking and groaning when using a Trak Pak. Then I heard that it happens only when it is not adjusted right. I would hate to get it installed and have it make all kinds of noises
Second, since my car is lowered and I want to keep as much ground clearance as possible, I wonder where the cross-brace will go. Does it hang lower than the SFCs? Is it visible without crawling under the car? When installing, do I have to remove any interior pieces? ...
>well this from the http://www.bmrfabrication.com/F-bodySuspension.htm
site "NOTE: ... Use of this product will produce additional road noise and is recommended for the serious enthusiast only."

I didn't notice to much additional noise with mine .
the crossbrace does sit lower than the sub frame connectors .
I will send you some pics of mine (but I have to e-mail them) .
Old 05-18-2004, 02:49 PM

Re: Torque arm dilema...this is a tough one...

I see the similar Spohn unit and it really seems like it will address my concerns. I like how there is no welding involved and how it bolts to the factory pads of the car. In addition, they make one specifically for cars with long tube headers, which I have. However, I am not sure if my ground clearance issuse comes into play with that one.

Or should I ditch both ideas and just get a regular trans-mounted torque arm and be done with it?
I like spohn, and am helping a buddy put his on the coming monday, it looks painfully easy to install, and of the highest craftmanship.

it will take up more ground clearance
http://www.spohn.net/productimages/405_install_13.jpg (right off spohns site

but the flanges on the LTs are at the same position.
Old 05-18-2004, 03:15 PM

>sent you some pics to your e-mail .
Old 05-18-2004, 03:24 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally posted by bowtiepwr
>sent you some pics to your e-mail .
Haven't recevied them yet...I still might if things are moving slowly.

Make sure they go to jason@camaroz28... and not jasond@camaroz28....

And thanks!
Old 05-18-2004, 03:40 PM

Haven't recevied them yet...I still might if things are moving slowly.

Make sure they go to jason@camaroz28... and not jasond@camaroz28....

And thanks!
>I sent them to jason@camaroz28.com <jason@camaroz28.com>
but I have Charter broadband and it takes forever
Old 05-18-2004, 04:20 PM
Admin Emeritus

Thumbs up

Originally posted by bowtiepwr
>I sent them to jason@camaroz28.com <jason@camaroz28.com>
but I have Charter broadband and it takes forever
Got 'em, thanks!
Old 05-18-2004, 04:35 PM

Got 'em, thanks!
>hey thats my job
BTW - I have the boxed subframes so they are a little lower of course , and home made brackets for the crossbrace (BMRs are not as low) .
Old 05-18-2004, 07:44 PM

Thanks Jason I also am wondering the same things and trieng to decide on which one to buy.

BUMP

Anybody with the BMR kit, how was the install? Is it noisy? How did you find the quality? How much welding do you need to do, as I can't weld.
Old 05-18-2004, 08:10 PM
Admin Emeritus

Well, after seeing bowtiepwr's pics he sent me, I am almost surely going to buy the Spohn and sell my BMR.

I think I might call up Spohn and make sure their piece is what I am looking for.

I am still more than willing to get additional advice, though. Thanks all!
Old 05-18-2004, 08:46 PM

Now that I've examined both arms, I've come to the conclusion that for only 40$ more, you get bolt-on parts, and less road noise. I am a large BMR fan, but It's inconvienent to weld the arm in at no less than 4 places. I'm sure there will be road noise, but the SPOHN arm has those rubber pads that help also.

Well I have eibach, Lakewood, KYB, and now maybe SPOHN in my suspension, everyone loves a mutt right?

Jason how much would you let it go for if you did sell it?
Old 05-18-2004, 08:55 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally posted by Bone Daddy
Now that I've examined both arms, I've come to the conclusion that for only 40$ more, you get bolt-on parts,
Yeah, that is what I am thinking.

and less road noise.
I dunno about that one. I think that deserves some looking into since they are the same principle. Just my thoughts.

I am a large BMR fan
Same here! I think BMR products are killer.

but It's inconvienent to weld the arm in at no less than 4 places.
Not to mention, since the BMR cross brace goes the width of the enture car, that is basically MORE surface area to scrape or whack into dead animals when I drive. Hjaving a lowered car is cool and I love it, but you really gotta be careful.

I'm sure there will be road noise, but the SPOHN arm has those rubber pads that help also.
What rubber pads?

Jason how much would you let it go for if you did sell it?
I dunno, really. It is brand new and I wouldn't want to give it away. I suppose I'd look to get $300 for it. That is, of course, once I decide to REALLY go with the Spohn...which I think I will once I get some more info.
Old 05-18-2004, 09:46 PM

I dunno about that one. I think that deserves some looking into since they are the same principle. Just my thoughts.

What rubber pads?
If you look at the SPOHN arm, where it bolts on to the pan, there are two rubber pads, it also talks about getting them in poly for even less road noise. Even though they are pictured, I'm not sure if they are a standard feature or not.

http://www.spohn.net/productimages/401_big.jpg

Same here! I think BMR products are killer.
You sir, have excellent taste.

Not to mention, since the BMR cross brace goes the width of the enture car, that is basically MORE surface area to scrape or whack into dead animals when I drive. Hjaving a lowered car is cool and I love it, but you really gotta be careful.
The BMR has a dip in the brace, while the SPOHN has just a straight bar, do you think that would cause exhaust routing problems versus the BMR unit?

Originally posted by JasonDI dunno, really. It is brand new and I wouldn't want to give it away. I suppose I'd look to get $300 for it. That is, of course, once I decide to REALLY go with the Spohn...which I think I will once I get some more info.
Hmm, If you do sell the BMR, and go with the SPOHN, I think your the only one that could get 3 bills of his money back, I however would be forced to sell it for 200.00 or less. Either that or fabricate it into some kind of uber modern sculpture.

What kind fo drop do you have? I myself run Sportlines.

Last edited by Bone Daddy; 05-18-2004 at 09:53 PM.
Old 05-18-2004, 09:53 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally posted by Bone Daddy

If you look at the SPOHN arm, where it bolts on to the pan, there are two rubber pads, it also talks about getting them in poly for even less road noise. I'm not sure if they are a standard feature or not. (the DS loop is, and its a accessory)

http://www.spohn.net/productimages/401_big.jpg [/B]
Not on the one for long tubes, it looks like bare metal.

http://www.spohn.net/productimages/405_big.jpg

When they say poly, I think they mean the bushing that connects to the arm to the brace.

If it doesn't have rubber pads, I wonder if it wouldn't be a bad idea to just put some there? Maybe a thin piece can't hurt.

Maybe it DOES come with pads, though....

The BMR has a dip in the brace, while the SPOHN has just a straight bar, do you think that would cause exhaust routing problems versus the BMR unit?
The straight bar is for stock exhaust systems, and the one in the pic above is for long tubes/y-pipe.

Hmm, If you do sell the BMR, and go with the SPOHN, I think your the only one that could get 3 bills of his money back, I however would be forced to sell it for 200.00 or less. Either that or fabricate it into some kind of uber modern sculpture.
Heh...mine is just as new as what anyone could get anywhere else. Just got a few extra fingerprints on it. I dunno, I didn't really think about the price but I don't think that $300 is terribly unfair. Guess I might find out!
Old 05-18-2004, 10:13 PM

I just noticed that those rubber pads I thought I saw were just unpowdercoated parts of the arm. This threw me? Why not powdercoat the whole surface area?

Now that I mention it, I think it would be a wise descision to find some 1/8 to a 1/4 inch rubber and make some pads.

Cost of gas to the Home Depot: 5$
Cost of one thick rubber door mat: 12$

Laughing at other TA owners that didn't think of this:

Priceless

You could always email BMR and SPOHN and tell them than other than your smoothlocks, you have a great product idea. Of course, I get a large percentage as the nutty professor in this scenario.

Quick Reply: Torque arm dilema...this is a tough one...