Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Torque Arm Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 10:03 PM

Torque Arm Question

Can you feel a significant difference when you put on an aftermarket torque arm? I have a '98 V6 A4 and am looking into getting one of these things...
Old 03-27-2005, 10:46 PM
Administrator

Re: Torque Arm Question

I wouldn't think you would notice any difference. The primary function of the torque arm is to keep the driveshaft straight under heavy torque loads. The stock arm should be more than adequate with the V6, unless you're running a blower or nitrous. I've seen people run 10's with the stock torque arm. But I've also seen 12-second cars bend them and rip through the bolt holes.

The "adjustable" feature becomes necessary as the HP/torque goes up. The factory pinion angle is generally correct for "stock" power, but as power levels go up, you have to increase the (negative) pinion angle to counter the upward movement of the pinion shaft under heavy torque loads on launch.
Old 03-27-2005, 10:49 PM

Hmm, well it does something different than I was led to believe.

What would I be looking for to push my rear wheels down harder to the ground?
Old 03-27-2005, 11:08 PM

that's what it does. takes the upward rolling movement from the axle and in turn starts pushing down on the tires. and if angled correctly, also makes the driveline angle straight. but, in your case, it's money that could be spent elsewhere.
Old 03-28-2005, 02:07 PM
Administrator

If you want to increase traction by driving the wheels down toward the pavement, you need a set of LCA relocation brackets. By lowering the attachment point on the axle end of the LCA, the forward thrust of the tires on launch pushes the body end "up", forcing the axle down. Using an aftermarket LCA, with stiffer bushings will help as well, but from my experience, the relocation brackets provide the best improvement.

You might want to add info about what you have done to the engine/drivetrain, so that people can respond with solutions that reflect the power level your are running. Is your car equipped with the optional (optional on V6, standard with V8) limited slip differential?
Old 04-04-2005, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by NOS2006
Can you feel a significant difference when you put on an aftermarket torque arm? I have a '98 V6 A4 and am looking into getting one of these things...
Buy poly bushing for your torque arm. Poly bushing cost 17 dollars or so. You will see a noticable difference alone with poly bushing with your stock torque arm. And if you like the feel then buy an aftermarket on and it will perform much better. Like the others said post info on your car.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:07 AM

When I put my LCA's in it knocked a solid .1 off my 1/4 mile time, with crappy tires. When I put in the TA it took another solid and consistent .1 off my time. I have not been to the track with my new tires (nitto), but i'm sure it will drop more.

The rear end feels much more planted and the shifting is faster and has a very direct feel to it, and it just responds to shifts much faster and with more power. I love mine.
Old 04-11-2005, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by sir dyno
Buy poly bushing for your torque arm. Poly bushing cost 17 dollars or so. You will see a noticable difference alone with poly bushing with your stock torque arm. And if you like the feel then buy an aftermarket on and it will perform much better. Like the others said post info on your car.
where do you buy them for $17?
thanks
Old 04-11-2005, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
If you want to increase traction by driving the wheels down toward the pavement, you need a set of LCA relocation brackets. By lowering the attachment point on the axle end of the LCA, the forward thrust of the tires on launch pushes the body end "up", forcing the axle down. Using an aftermarket LCA, with stiffer bushings will help as well, but from my experience, the relocation brackets provide the best improvement.

You might want to add info about what you have done to the engine/drivetrain, so that people can respond with solutions that reflect the power level your are running. Is your car equipped with the optional (optional on V6, standard with V8) limited slip differential?
does it help anymore to get adjustable LCA's or no?
Old 04-12-2005, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Posted by sir dyno
Originally Posted by DiabloGT
where do you buy them for $17?
thanks
POLYURETHENE bushings
Old 04-12-2005, 02:51 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by DiabloGT
does it help anymore to get adjustable LCA's or no?
Adjustable LCA's are of very limited value. The LCA's position the axle assembly front-to-back in the wheel wells. Changing that position does little, except when you need to gain a little more clearance for large diameter slicks. It will not measureably change pinion angle. Its going to alter the instant center very slightly. But I don't think you would notice the difference one way or the other.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:01 PM

injun, quick question about the relocation brackets and LCA's... would that be a decent setup for a stock ride height car like mine? and would it plant the rear of the car better or same with the relocation brackets.
Old 04-13-2005, 04:39 PM

Your torque arm will be fine, but get rid of the power-robbing 2 piece driveshaft.
Old 04-13-2005, 04:49 PM

...and buy an $800 carbon one? I'm 17, dude... lol
Old 04-13-2005, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by 5.0THIS
Your torque arm will be fine, but get rid of the power-robbing 2 piece driveshaft.

2 piece?

Quick Reply: Torque Arm Question