Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

torque arm question???

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 11:45 PM

torque arm question???

i am going to replace my stock torque arm with my new setup.

my question is what are the advantages/disadvantages of going with an adjustable torque arm? they are like twice the price so id like to stick with a non adj. one if i can.

i already have BMR: tubular K-member, control arms, upper and lower A-arms, sub frame conn. pan hard rod, stb, front an rear sway bars. and i will probably go with QA1 12 way adjustable coil overs and new springs in the rear. so with the all that and the adjustability of the shocks will i need an adjustable torque arm to keep the pinion angle correct? if not, will i need one if i end up lowering the car instaed of getting the QA1's?

thanks guys.
Old 05-31-2005, 01:14 AM
GP Moderator

Re: torque arm question???

Adjustability allows you to adjust the pinion angle to your needs. In general, more negative pinion angle can enhance traction at launch, as it helps force the rear end down.

Then it comes down to tranny mounted vs. chassis mounted torque arms. As far as strength goes, chassis mounted is the only way to go. But those setups cost more, can have clearance issues (ground/exhaust/other aftermarket parts), and because of their solid mounting, can add a bit of extra vibrations to the car.

That said, I run a Spohn adjustable chassis mounted TA. Solid piece, easy install. Made it a little harder to do true duals, but still worked out fine. You do have to pound the ever living crap out of your driveline tunnel at the back to keep it from banging at full suspension travel though.