Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Trying to chase down a "clunk" sound

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 10:30 AM

Trying to chase down a "clunk" sound

I have a weird clunk sound coming from the bottom of my car somewhere. When I slow down for a stop, and the tranny downshifts from 2nd to 1st, I hear a "clunk" coming from somewhere under the rear part of the car. It's not the trans mount, I had a poly one put in last year, and I just had it checked out the other day when I had my new shocks installed [it isn't the shocks, because I had the clunk before the new shocks].

Here's another thing. My driveway is at an incline. When I put my car in reverse from park, the car will actually jerk for a second and then stop. But it doesn't jerk when on a flat surface.

What could be causing this clunk? A bad torque arm? Bad TA mount? Bade driveshaft? Bad driveshaft u-joints? A loose bolt on the torque arm?
Old 04-16-2006, 10:52 AM

Re: Trying to chase down a "clunk" sound

Originally Posted by Camarocracy
I have a weird clunk sound coming from the bottom of my car somewhere. When I slow down for a stop, and the tranny downshifts from 2nd to 1st, I hear a "clunk" coming from somewhere under the rear part of the car. It's not the trans mount, I had a poly one put in last year, and I just had it checked out the other day when I had my new shocks installed [it isn't the shocks, because I had the clunk before the new shocks].

Here's another thing. My driveway is at an incline. When I put my car in reverse from park, the car will actually jerk for a second and then stop. But it doesn't jerk when on a flat surface.

What could be causing this clunk? A bad torque arm? Bad TA mount? Bade driveshaft? Bad driveshaft u-joints? A loose bolt on the torque arm?
it could be a bad u-joint
crawl under the car or putit on stands and rockteh driveshaft back and forth and c if the ujoints are slacking or moving

another possibility is slack in the rear , with the back tires of the ground car in park rotatate the tires back and forth fast,if u hear a clunk when u reverse the direction of the rotation u could have some slcak in the rear.my car has some slack in the rear and i have the same symptoms
Old 04-17-2006, 11:06 AM

If there is slack in the rear, how would I get it fixed? Or would it just be better to get new gears, like 3:73 or something
Old 04-18-2006, 11:47 AM

When I had a clunk comming from my car... I got fed up, and went under the car and torqued every major bolt I could find.

Turned out, my torque arm bolts (the two big ones at the back) were almost finger loose

Got some thread locker, and torqued those bishes. No more clunk

I also found some other suspension components a little undertorqued... but just slightly.