Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

tunnel brace?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 03:04 PM

Re: tunnel brace?

It is clear that no one can tell you anything, so I am happy to quit trying.

Z28

[QUOTE=Greed4Speed][QUOTE=Z28barnett][QUOTE=Greed4Speed]And explain when the car is going to have this kind of stress in that area and how is the trans support not going to bend also? QUOTE]

This stress will happen any time the road pushes up on either the front or rear of a car, ever heard of a bump?

That would not cause an arch (which the tunnel is) to bend that easily. Again, it is still braced by the trans brace which is stronger than the tunnel brace.

[QUOTE=Greed4Speed] Do your same test, but put a thin strip of cardboard you cut off across as a brace. See how easily it still twists (which is how that area will move)./QUOTE]

Wipe you *** somemore and get another toilet paper tube. I never said twist the tube I said bend it. The brace operates in tension to stop bending not twisting.

Raally mature, I already see your degree of logic from this statement and the reason why you can not comprehend.
Twisting is what chassis do when they flex. They don't bend down the middle. The ground contact is a 4 corners causing a twisting motion. The engine torques to one side and the power goes predominately to one side. Again more twist.

Originally Posted by Greed4Speed
The tunnel isn't going to receive any lateral force (the only force that brace would work againt) unless you receive a side impact./QUOTE]

Never said that it would.

Since the brace is lateral, this is the force that it would brace against.

Take you own advise and think outside of your little box or tp roll as the case may be.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Jazsun
I took mine off adn beat it w/ a sludge hammer in the middle to it bends down and has room for my 3" catback. The peice of metal isnt very strong to begin with so I cant see how it does much at all. I can bend it w/ my hands.

I have had mine off also and yes you can flex it.

Now try this.

Measure it from one end to the other with a tape.

Now take your bare hands and stretch the brace 1/4" in length.

No luck? I don't imagine you could move it at all.

Operates in tension under uni-body bending loads, not in torsion, simple bending or compression. Think of it as a cable and you will have the idea. Good that you put it back on.

GM didnt pay to make and install that brace for no reason.

They are your cars, do what you want, you have been warned.

I have nothing further to offer.

Z28
Old 06-30-2005, 03:43 PM

Feel free to quit trying because your logic is flawed, you can't explain away the strength still there from the trans brace, and you have no other experience with f-bodies do you?

Why do they put ribs in sheet metal? Its to give it longitudinal strength. The trans tunnel will have the same effect on the floorpan w/or w/out the little brace. If it was really that necessary there would be more cars that had them, but it isn't needed because the trans brace does the same thing and it is stronger. Then you also have the fact that several driveshaftloops are not flat which would allow them to be lengthend the 1/4" length under load if the floor pan did spread apart like that, but you have no arguements against them, just not having the brace.

Then you have the other effects (to the top and other body panel alignments) that would appear if the trans tunnel did what you say that don't appear.

GM paid to make a temp guage that is wortless, what makes you think they wouldn't throw a superfluous cheap brace on too?