Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

UMI or BMR?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by x2jesse1x
This might sound dumb and some may think that im a fan boy of a brand but I want to stick with the same brand all the way around, I do it with everything i BUY. I cant help it. Stereo system..ALL kicker.

So I guess im going to have to take Bmr because they have sway bars.

I guess I have a problem
I'm the same way, other people are as well. Everything I have is from Spohn.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:05 PM

I'm a UMI dealer. I am not a BMR dealer. However, I have spoken with BMR, seen their parts, and had PM's with Lee @ BMR.... I, just about two weeks ago, referred someone with a Mustang his way for some parts UMI does not make.

I am not the type to bash a product unless it's junk. BMR stuff isn't junk. I happen to go with UMI for a few reasons, which are quite important to me both as a supplier of parts to you, a customer of their's, and as someone who runs UMI products on my own car.

First, they are local to me. I'm maybe a little old-fashioned, but I like the fact if I need to go up there for something I can. Along that line, I've also been to the shop and seen how things work (particularly the welding and quality of those welds). And I know Ryan is personally concerned with making the best product he can. I learned this when we were talking over design features of the K-member that was only on the drawing board then, and one thing we wanted (among others) was the strongest one he could build.

I'm not a believer in buying a brand. I buy quality and design. There are some things from every company I don't love. Koni's are great for our cars, but not for every car. Some Eibach springs are outstanding, some suck, and on the list goes.

Who gives you the best support? That's really what you are buying when you are looking at parts that pretty much everyone and their brother sells if the quality is comparable.

The relationship I have with Ryan/UMI is one of the best I've had with any company. We know where the other one stands, we work together on things when we can.

I'll have to vote UMI (available through Strano Performance!), but not because BMR makes poor products, because I don't believe they do...... A few things I'm not crazy about, but there are a few things like that from everyone supplier.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I'm a UMI dealer. I am not a BMR dealer. However, I have spoken with BMR, seen their parts, and had PM's with Lee @ BMR.... I, just about two weeks ago, referred someone with a Mustang his way for some parts UMI does not make.

I am not the type to bash a product unless it's junk. BMR stuff isn't junk. I happen to go with UMI for a few reasons, which are quite important to me both as a supplier of parts to you, a customer of their's, and as someone who runs UMI products on my own car.

First, they are local to me. I'm maybe a little old-fashioned, but I like the fact if I need to go up there for something I can. Along that line, I've also been to the shop and seen how things work (particularly the welding and quality of those welds). And I know Ryan is personally concerned with making the best product he can. I learned this when we were talking over design features of the K-member that was only on the drawing board then, and one thing we wanted (among others) was the strongest one he could build.

I'm not a believer in buying a brand. I buy quality and design. There are some things from every company I don't love. Koni's are great for our cars, but not for every car. Some Eibach springs are outstanding, some suck, and on the list goes.

Who gives you the best support? That's really what you are buying when you are looking at parts that pretty much everyone and their brother sells if the quality is comparable.

The relationship I have with Ryan/UMI is one of the best I've had with any company. We know where the other one stands, we work together on things when we can.

I'll have to vote UMI (available through Strano Performance!), but not because BMR makes poor products, because I don't believe they do...... A few things I'm not crazy about, but there are a few things like that from everyone supplier.

although I do appriciate the answer you took to give me, I am not going to use your oppinion to make my decision, I believe that UMI and BMR make good products and lets face it, if you sold BMR you would say they were better as well. So

but thanks anyway
Old 03-22-2007, 01:13 PM

although I do appriciate the answer you took to give me, I am not going to use your oppinion to make my decision, I believe that UMI and BMR make good products and lets face it, if you sold BMR you would say they were better as well. So

but thanks anyway
That's fine... but you don't think the same thing will happen from anyone who has a certain part over another?

I just told you quality wise there is no issue. If I wanted to color the findings for a sale, I'd have told you something else. As it is I was honest, and could have said I don't sell BMR because it's junk. That's not my style, and if you ask around about me, you'd know that. Sadly that's not the case with all vendors.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:21 PM

Does UMI sell sway bars?
Old 03-22-2007, 01:25 PM

That's fine... but you don't think the same thing will happen from anyone who has a certain part over another?

I just told you quality wise there is no issue. If I wanted to color the findings for a sale, I'd have told you something else. As it is I was honest, and could have said I don't sell BMR because it's junk. That's not my style, and if you ask around about me, you'd know that. Sadly that's not the case with all vendors.

from what I have seen on other threads, sam is an honest man. Hell, i believe I saw him point people in directions that took away sales, i.e. getting revalved bilsteins. The fact that you work hand and hand with ryan, which i didnt know until now, makes me happy I went with umi, aside from the fact they are local to me as well.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:29 PM

Does UMI sell sway bars?
No, but I do.... Many brands, including ones I had commissioned because I wanted a better set than what's generally available. 32/21 is not a good combo IMHO. Fine sized rear, not enough front. Or a 32 front is fine with a 19mm rear, just not enough overall roll-stiffness.

I build 35/22's. Both of which are hollow and they are backed up with credentials (namely my National Championships), but also with a explaination as to why they are what they are, and why I don't feel other bar sets are optimal for handling.

Last edited by Sam Strano; 03-22-2007 at 01:33 PM.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by danhr

from what I have seen on other threads, sam is an honest man. Hell, i believe I saw him point people in directions that took away sales, i.e. getting revalved bilsteins. The fact that you work hand and hand with ryan, which i didnt know until now, makes me happy I went with umi, aside from the fact they are local to me as well.
FWIW, I'm the one who sells Revalves. SLP's are sometimes thought of as Revalves, but aren't really (differently build production parts in front, same as HD in the rear). But I do refer folks away if the situation warrants.... it just normally doens't because I have better product line coverage than most other vendors do. I want to sell what's correct, not what I have. I have lots, doesn't make it right. And happy customers come back, unhappy ones do not.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:49 PM

Any chance in the future that UMI will make sway bars?
Old 03-22-2007, 02:21 PM

Any chance in the future that UMI will make sway bars?
You'd have to ask them, but I don't think they are planning on it anytime soon. Exactly why does that matter? You guys are way too hung up on having all one brand thing. Isn't it best to have options? Maybe it's just me, I don't like being boxed in. I want the right part for the job, and you can mix brands if you do your homework.

I bet next to nobody who has Pacesetter headers has a Pacesetter exhaust......
Old 03-22-2007, 02:25 PM

I bet next to nobody who has Pacesetter headers has a Pacesetter exhaust......
Very good point.