Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

UMI Sway Bar Kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 03:39 PM

Re: UMI Sway Bar Kit

Originally Posted by Gtpguy
Greenformula, is the rear easier to kick out from behind you while taking a corner? I would love to get the 35/25 drag bar, but I'm afraid of this happening often and not wanting to take corners the way I like to.
Once you get used to driving it, its not bad.

I had a few instances where it accidently came.

its fun having people in the car with you and makin them **** their panties tho haha
Old 03-13-2012, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
We are actually putting the finishing touches on the 2012 print catalog right now. Hit me at ramey@umiperformance.com in a week or two to check in.

thanks

ramey

Ok,thanks Ramey.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Traditional suspension design for rear wheel drive generally indicates that a severely oversized rear sway (e.g. 1.25" solid chrome moly) bar will promote excessive oversteer, to the point of potential danger. Works great on a drag strip, but not ideal for street use.
Injuneer, how would my Z handle with 35mm front and the 22mm rear sway bar upgrade?? Thats what UMI offers for their kit.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by greenformula94
Once you get used to driving it, its not bad.

I had a few instances where it accidently came.

its fun having people in the car with you and makin them **** their panties tho haha
How much faster can you take a hair pin turn with the 25mm out back? Or does it just feel more planted down/less body roll at the same speed?
Old 03-20-2012, 05:26 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by SROACH
Injuneer, how would my Z handle with 35mm front and the 22mm rear sway bar upgrade?? Thats what UMI offers for their kit.
That's probably a good balance. Too small rear vs. front and you get understeer, too large in the back compared to the front and you get oversteer. My comment was directed to a setup that had a "drag" style rear bar - a solid bar at 32mm (1.25"). That would lead to oversteer, which could worsen the problem of "the back end hanging out".

I have a Spohn 1-5/16" solid chrome moly drag bar, and it definitely affected the handling negatively with the stock front bar. But my car is intended primarily for the 1/4-mile (and no longer has a front sway bar).
Old 03-21-2012, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
That's probably a good balance. Too small rear vs. front and you get understeer, too large in the back compared to the front and you get oversteer. My comment was directed to a setup that had a "drag" style rear bar - a solid bar at 32mm (1.25"). That would lead to oversteer, which could worsen the problem of "the back end hanging out".

I have a Spohn 1-5/16" solid chrome moly drag bar, and it definitely affected the handling negatively with the stock front bar. But my car is intended primarily for the 1/4-mile (and no longer has a front sway bar).
Thanks Injuneer! Be that I almost never go to the track I think the 35/22mm kit would be good for me.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:45 PM

I *think* the 1LE and WS6 came with those bars, at least back in the early to mid 90's. I have the front bar off a wrecked WS6, a '96 or '97, and it was 35MM, rather than the 32MM stock on my Z. The rear was a 19MM unit, same as on my car now. I need a little more rear bar, my car "pushes" a little more than I like. I took the WS6 rear springs and shocks, too, but didn't have the time and equipment to grab the front springs.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:44 AM

I heard the end link bolts that come with these kits are too short. I read that from several different post on another site. I will get longer bolts.