Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

UMI Upper & lower control arm problems.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 10:15 PM

O.k. After removing the UMI pieces(upper and lower arms) and installing the stock pieces, I was able to get the suspension to move. Now I had a starting point, again. I removed the upper and lower arms and compared them to the UMI pieces. For the lower arms, I measured from the center of the bushing to the lower shock mount holes. I did this for each side of the lower control arm. I measured differently for the upper arms. I measured fromthe center of the ball joint to the center of the bushing. By doing this, I believe, I got as close to stock as I could although UMI changed the degree of the ball joint, ever so slightly to correct for geometry on lowered vehicles. I believe this isn't very important at this point considering how I fubared the adjustment at this point.I think most likely I am close to where UMI had them set before I "adjusted" things.
I only have the passenger side on but everything bounces good, now.
My shocks (the new AGX) are junk and I am not sure about the Eibach fronts. I sure does seem like a very stiff spring. So for now, the stock shocks and springs are going to have to do. I have been looking at some QA1 rc7855 or the strange fronts. We'll see.....
Old 03-18-2009, 04:57 PM

Hey,

Did you resolve this? Was it the shocks? Or the springs that look like truck springs?

The reason I ask is I have the same setup ready to be put on, but I have not adjusted any links yet in my upper or lower A arms.

I am just waiting on ball joints to start putting it all back together
Old 03-18-2009, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by dbrockma
Hey,

Did you resolve this? Was it the shocks? Or the springs that look like truck springs?

The reason I ask is I have the same setup ready to be put on, but I have not adjusted any links yet in my upper or lower A arms.

I am just waiting on ball joints to start putting it all back together
Yes, the shocks were bent and the stiff Eibachs didn't help either. I have the stock shocks and springs on now.
One thing is that the UMI pieces come set at the factory settings, which the instructions DO NOT mention. Leave yours alone and let the guys who do the alignment mess with it. That was another problem I had. Once I got my pieces back close everything would travel correctly.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:34 PM

Everything is back together and I ended up ditching the stock shock and springs. I ended up with the QA1 shocks with the 300 lbs springs.

Name:  CIMG4447.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  115.4 KB

I got a little aggressive with the stance and scraped the hell out of the collector flange to y pipe flange. That is the first time I have EVER scraped. I raised it up about 1" and got it to sit a little better.

Name:  CIMG4448.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  113.5 KB

Tomorrow the Spohn pro series drag bar will be here and that should complete the suspension for the car or at least for the year. I am looking to re do the rear shocks and springs but maybe next year. Right now I need some slicks
Old 03-25-2013, 02:31 PM

Re: UMI Upper & lower control arm problems.....

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Hello,

I know the adjustment can be confusing and make the installation a little bit tougher but too much adjustment is not your issue from what I can see. Setting it up can be tough and if you loose a starting point it gets tougher. When we assemble the arms they are preset to factory settings within a 1/16th of an inch... they can however move during shipping.

As for the plate on the upper A-Arms... we changed the design a year ago to prevent the A-Arm from hitting the fender well. On a lowered car our older design would hit the inner fender well and that picture is a few years old. What you have is the newer design and is correct.

Give Jerry a call in our technical support department at 814-857-5400 and go over the issues with him... a few pictures might help him/us as well.

Thank you,
Ryan
Just getting to get to set mine up now. Lots of fun. Mine were lose when I received them and had no idea they were set from factory. Maybe you should include some install notes. Would be helpful. Great products. I'm very happy with all of the UMI line of f body parts. I will post some picture later..
Old 03-25-2013, 02:39 PM

Re: UMI Upper & lower control arm problems.....

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Hello,

I know the adjustment can be confusing and make the installation a little bit tougher but too much adjustment is not your issue from what I can see. Setting it up can be tough and if you loose a starting point it gets tougher. When we assemble the arms they are preset to factory settings within a 1/16th of an inch... they can however move during shipping.

As for the plate on the upper A-Arms... we changed the design a year ago to prevent the A-Arm from hitting the fender well. On a lowered car our older design would hit the inner fender well and that picture is a few years old. What you have is the newer design and is correct.

Give Jerry a call in our technical support department at 814-857-5400 and go over the issues with him... a few pictures might help him/us as well.

Thank you,
Ryan
Just getting to get to set mine up now. Lots of fun. Mine were lose when I received them and had no idea they were set from factory. Maybe you should include some install notes. Would be helpful. Great products. I'm very happy with all of the UMI line of f body parts. I will post some picture later..