Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

unlevel suspension

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 12:29 PM

unlevel suspension

Ok so here's the deal my 02 z28 rides extremely unlevel the passenger side is probably a good 2 inches lower than the drivers side. I didn't really notice until I swapped my c6 wheels from my 94 z28 but as soon as the bigger wheels went on spacing was an issue. I've tried a few things to level it out but so far the only success I've had was using a drop spring on the drivers side w a stock spring on the passengers side w twist in spacers on both sides to raise the ride height ( I know it a terrible thing to do to my car but its my daily and I've really run out of ideas ). Also I've installed a stock panhard bar and a new pair or kyb 8 way adjustable shocks in the rear and it had no effect. Anyone w any clues as to what might be wrong or what I can do to level it out and get my smooth ride w enough height to keep my wheel from rubbing when I have passengers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by fallenskater8; 10-28-2011 at 08:52 AM.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:19 AM

Re: unlevel suspension

Nobody has any ideas?
Old 11-03-2011, 10:05 PM
Administrator

I've never heard of anything as extreme as a 2" difference. Is this both front and back? Or just the front or just the back?

The ride height is controlled by the springs. The panhard rod centers the body side-to-side over the rear axle, so that wouldn't cause or correct the problems. The shocks don't affect ride height, except a small possible difference if one of them has lost the gas pressure.... but that's fractions of an inch, not two inches.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:46 PM

It is only the rear im hoping its not a horribly bent frame I don't believe its the shocks simply because I've switched to kyb 8 way adjustables and still had the same problem ill be trying a new pair of springs shortly ill reply on this post after I get it done thanks for the advice
Old 11-06-2011, 09:50 AM

If it is only one side on the rear, make sure that the insulator is still there. It is a rubber donut that goes between the spring and the underside of the car, about an inch thick.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:54 AM

Yes it is still there
Old 11-09-2011, 09:57 AM

Are the springs compressed the same? Put a tape measure inside the spring and see if the dimension from the underside of the body to the top of the axle is the same on both sides. If there is a difference, the spring is sagging.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:44 AM

Ok I will have to check when I put the new springs in this weekend because currently there is a stock spring on the passenger side and a drop spring on the drivers side ( to level out the ride height) but I will keep checking the forum for ideas and update this post as I make changes and try possible solutions
Thanks for the suggestions
Old 11-09-2011, 04:13 PM

Are u sure the rear tires are the same size?.....just a thought
Old 11-11-2011, 01:52 AM

For there to be 2" and a bent 'frame' (unibody) you would see it in the door and fender lines. If all the body lines are straight and true I would have to assume its something with the spring setup causing the car the sit that far off.

Easy thing to do would be swap the springs from side to side and see if the problem moves.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by mightymouse383
Are u sure the rear tires are the same size?.....just a thought
Come on now don't u think I would've noticed two different sized wheels?
I know that my hood isn't lined up perfect and my passengers side door rubs just a little when it is being closed which makes it a bit difficult to close but its not terrible ... really not bad enough to even notice unless u are looking for it but ill be putting in new springs tomorrow so ill let u guys know and Thanks again for the input!
Old 11-14-2011, 06:26 PM

Ok so the verdict is in the spring seat I believe its called (where the spring meets the axle) is bent down does anyone have any ideas on how to bend it back? It possibly grind it off and weld a new one in? Has anyone else had this problem? I don't know how to post pics but ill try soon
Thanks