Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

URGENT!!! ABS INOP Light when EBrake it Down

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 09:19 PM
Administrator

Re: URGENT!!! ABS INOP Light when EBrake it Down

No problem with jumping into the thread.... I just couldn't understand what the problem with the ABS was, so it was hard to help you.

You indicate you scanned for codes? To do that, you need a high end scanner like the dealer Tech-2 that can access the EBTCM system, not the regular PCM. A scan of the EBTCM with that $2,000 tool, would show a code. If you just scanned the PCM, you wouldn't get anything.

Without the scan of the electronic brake/traction control module, your best bet at this point is to make sure the harness connectors for the four ABS sensors are plugged in tight, not full of dirt, and not damaged. Then try and blow the sensors out with compressed air, but I don't know how effective that would be with the sensors contained in the front wheel hub cartidges.

You kept emphasizing the E-brake handle is down, and that's why I though you might have a problem with the "BRAKE" light on the dash.

Last edited by Injuneer; 05-30-2011 at 09:22 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:17 AM

You know, I have always wondered about references to a scan tool. What I have is a code reader.

I need a state inspection (mine's dead). I think I'll run it by the shop we use for our company vehicles and have him use. A real scan tool. I gather that will point to the area of failure. Is that a correct assumption?
Old 06-03-2011, 01:06 PM

Update. I took the car to the shop for inspection and diagnostics for the trouble lights. The module for TCS would not communicate with the scan tool. After replacing the relay on the under-hood block, my mechanic was able to connect to the module and reset the codes. From the looks of my rear fender lips, he gave it some rigorous testing

So far so good, but I'd love to get a scanner like that for myself. Any suggestion on model/brand? I could keep an eye out on eBay or Craigslist.