Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Vibration When Braking

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 07:45 PM

Vibration When Braking

I registered on the V6 Camaro board, but they didn't activate my account yet, so I wanted to ask this here.

I have a 97 Camaro. The car is still pretty much stock. About two years ago I accidentally cut my turn too much and I hit the curb. Unfortunately I did this twice, about a week apart.

Soon after that happened, I noticed that whenever I applied the brake pedal my car would shake pretty bad. It doesn't do it any other time. I can feel it in the car itself, but I can feel it mostly in the steering wheel, and somewhat in the shifter.

It's getting rather annoying now, and I want to get it fixed.

Since that has happened, I have had the car aligned, but that didn't help out any. My camber is out of spec again because the outer end of my passenger side tire is getting worn prematurely.
I have balanced the tires myself since I hit the curbs, so I know that was done fine. While doing that, I measured for the wheels out of round, and that came out ok as well.
About two weeks ago I checked the front brakes on the passenger side (the side it happened on), and I didn't see anything wrong. I also checked the ball joints while I was there and they checked out good also.
I haven't been able to check the drum brakes in the back yet.

I would like any advice as to what I should look into next. Is there anything else that I can check out with the supplies that I have at home? Can anybody point me in a direction that may help me figure this out?

I would appreciate any help that could be given.
Old 05-17-2008, 06:11 AM

brakes

how did you check the front rotors? if the rotor is warped from the impact just a .001 of an inch you would not be able to see it with just eye balling it. i would take both rotors off the front and have them turned at your local parts store and replace the pads. it may not be the problem but its where i would start looking.
Old 05-17-2008, 10:15 AM

Thanks for the idea. I'm probably going to give that a try here within the next few weeks.