Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Wagner TQ pads tight in caliper frame

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 09:04 PM

Wagner TQ pads tight in caliper frame

OK, this might sound like a rookie question, but here it goes. I noticed my rear pads on my 94 Z28 were a gettin thin, so I bought a set of Wagner TQ pads and Centric Premium rotors from Rock Auto. (I hate the thought of putting no-brand name stuff on a decent vehicle.)

But when I went to install the new rear rotors and pads tonight, the pads went very tight, sticking top and bottom in the caliper frame. My set up has two flat shelves machined in the caliper frame for the top and bottom of the pad to rest on. There are no shims, only a small spring on a tab pointing out. This pushes against the caliper near a groove for the tab.

The old pads popped in tight as well, but moved freely in and out once in position. The new ones stuck tight. I tried swapping the new pads around for best-fit, with no luck. I did notice that the outside edges of my new pads seemed somewhat rough and are painted, but I did not want to file or adjust them until I got some feedback from the experts here.

Has anyone ever run into this before? I could always send the pads back, but I'd hate to miss another week of nice weather, T-top off driving! Thanks!