Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Want to do suspension right, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
You sure? You seem pretty knowledgeable on this stuff, but I just want to confirm -- I thought the SAs adjusted rebound and compression together.
That's how I remember it but double checking wouldn't hurt.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
If I'm understanding all of this correctly, wouldn't stock rubber bushings on stronger aftermarket LCAs be the best solution?
Well they won't fit, the stock bushings are larger in diameter than what will fit in aftermarket LCAs, but there are other options. BMR offers rubber bushings, you can go poly/rod end, there are the J&M LCAs with poly ball joints , and someone (I forget who) is making LCAs with johnny joints.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:28 PM

Thanks guys, I think I'm going to keep it simple and go with BMR's rubber bushings, as long as you think it's a worthwhile switch. Anyone happen to already have the PN or link to the rubber bushings?
Old 06-16-2009, 07:08 PM

You should probably just email them, I don't think they sell them separately on their website.
I've had them on my car for several years, they've held up well.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:16 AM

Great discussion as I'm looking into upgrading suspension also on my 2000 SS. I really like the awy the car handles but certainly it could be improved via uncompromised material and hardware. Generally, I just want "more" of everything that is related to control on the road. I do not take the car on a track. The most noticeable problem I have is when there is an elevated bump on a corner at about 50 to 65 MPH. The outside rear tire seems to launch off of the elevation with the expected and inevitable disturbance to the driver's state of mind. I'm running the factory 17" wheels with Kumo ASTs. The tires are softer with less sidewall rigidity than some other tires. Am I just pushing too hard with the tires that I have? I feel that any more push and I might loose the rear. This is occuring at both neutral and positive acceleration. The front of the car is well behaved during these situations.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:26 AM

OK I've changed my mind thanks to Blue. He sent me these links and after reading the overview I now understand the advantages of poly ball or steel ball tubular LCA's (no compromise, good for dragging and turns). Read the overviews and it will all make sense:

http://www.hotpart.com/shop/index.ph...ct_detail&p=42

http://www.hotpart.com/shop/index.ph...ct_detail&p=85
Old 06-18-2009, 10:24 AM

wrnchbndr, I used to have a similar corner on my commute, a corner with ripples in the pavement. The back of the car would kind of skip sideways when it came off the bump. My experience is that stiffer suspension components will actually exaggerate that behavior a bit, but make it more predictable. I think for the most part its just a function of a car that's light in the back with stiff, short travel suspension.