Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

weight reduction and ride height

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 06:32 PM

weight reduction and ride height

i have just about every weight reduction imagineable in the front of my car. no AC PS emissions all gone full k member and a arms. right now i have new stock shocks and the stock springs with new strut mounts, the spring is installed correctly, the ends in the correct spot. i have the car sitting on blocks on the bottom of the a arms, and it just looks like its sitting way to high. could all my weight reductions have casued that much of a change?

i have a spohn manual rack kit on the car, and i have the bump steer kit adjusted all the way up, and it still seems like the tie rods are at a downward angle, should they be level or is this normal? steve spohn said that stock height cars should be adjusted all the way up on the bump steer kit.

is it possible that the weight reductions just casued this all, and that i just need coil overs that are adjustable to correct this problem? how much of a gap should be between the tire and fender with the stock struts and springs? thanks for any help or input any of you might have guys...
Old 06-29-2010, 09:45 PM

You really need to get the wheels on the ground to get an idea of the ride height. It will always look higher then it is if you support it from the control arm.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:47 PM

X2 you dont have the weight at the end of the arm, get some tires on it. The added leverage will let it sink down more. Even give it a couple bounces to get it to settle.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:34 PM

hmmm i will get it on the ground tomorrow and take some pics, thanks guys!
Old 07-01-2010, 08:56 AM

Once you get it on the ground roll the car out to get the camber to settle in the front suspension. Just bouncing the front doesn't always allow the suspension to settle right. I'd guess it is going to sit high in the front with those weight reductions. Also remember to get a full picture of how it will sit you need to have someone in the driver’s seat.

With all the performance parts in the front I'm curious to why you left the OEM springs and shocks in? Was it because of money or do you like the way it handles and rides with OEM parts? I think some of the biggest gains to any stock car are in a correctly tuned spring and shock packages. OEM's try to tune the car to do everything ok instead of one or two things great. So a car that handles like a rail will ride rough and a car that rides great won’t handle as well. The exception to the rule is new technology that has changed in high level performance cars with active shocks and handling components.

Jeff
Old 07-02-2010, 09:50 PM

lol you hit it right the first time, money.... im saving for the coil overs right now, just gonna run the stock stuff for a month or two till i can afford the qa1's
Old 07-03-2010, 05:33 AM

Then heck the ride height it's no biggie then. Wish I could afford a coil over set up but when I get to lowering my car I plan on springs and shocks.