Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

What brakes do I want?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 12:24 PM

What brakes do I want?

Cyro'd

drilled

Slotted

vented

Cermanic pads

I put 17" american racing torque thrust 2s on it the rotors and pads are new, less than 4k miles, but it stops liek i have nothing. Now I know I went up in wheel size, so then i'm guessing I shoudl go up in a larger or better rotor, but I dont knwo what to look for or what i need.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:58 PM

Re: What brakes do I want?

You don't need cyroed, drilled or slotted. Just get some solid rotors and some good pads, like Hawk. Good pads will make a huge difference. Good luck.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:10 PM

Hawk composite or hawk ceramic?
Old 06-28-2005, 02:38 PM

if you do get a fancy style brake rotor, and you do go bigger... spend the xtra money and get the bigger caliper.. or else its like putting big wheels with little brakes.. harder to stop. may not be noticable but its the best way to do it. if you do go fancy dont do drilled.. slotted are much better because the drilling on certain company takes away from the strength of the rotor. that is not the story with all companys just few of them....

(i learn all these intersteing facts from vender reps that come into my work since i work at an automotive aftermarket part distributor) sometimes the info comes in handy.. haha
Old 06-28-2005, 03:51 PM

a lot of people on here recommend brembo blanks for rotors.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:40 AM

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=378067

They are selling what used to be called the Bob Bishop conversion brackets to put C5 Corvette brakes on your car. Though I'd get the template from speed specialty and make sure they will clear those wheels, otherwise, it's a great setup.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:51 PM

Another option would be Baer. The Track series are C4 brakes and the GT+ series are the C5 brakes. Baer is more expensive but look better and don't require any adapters.

Never get cross drilled since the rotors can crack easily. If you like the look of slotted then get them, they don't really hurt anything (and they don't really add anything either) so they are pure cosmetic.

Just my $0.02
Old 06-30-2005, 02:03 PM

I second the Baer Brakes.
Old 07-01-2005, 09:28 PM

Adaptors? What do you mean the Baers don't require adaptors?

Also, the C4HD rotors are considerably more expensive than the C5 rotors, I'd do a C5 kit if at all possible. Also, Baer's steel brackets are known to flex under hard use and can cause pad taper problems, the kit I listed is considerably stiffer and has been designed to prevent this (I sold 2 GP's of them last year for Bob when he was building them).
Old 07-02-2005, 10:28 AM

By far the best option, in my opinion, are the brackets that trackbird is referring to. I have them, and they are light and wonderfully designed. Buy the red Z06 calipers and the brake system will look incredible too.

They really make your 4th gen stand out.

The performance has been incredible too, and I have cheap $16 GM C5 rotors. My pads are Hawk HPS. You can see pictures of it all in my website.

Dan

Last edited by stereomandan; 07-02-2005 at 10:40 AM.
Old 07-02-2005, 11:00 AM

Here are the part numbers you need and the quantity of each () for the C5 conversion. You will still need the adaptor brackets mentioned above, front brake hoses (get C5 stainless hoses) and brake fluid. I got the stoptech stainless steel brake lines. They were about $75. www.stoptech.com The ceramic GM pads that I list below were only purchased so that I could get the clips that come with them. The clips are used in the calipers and are used no matter what pad you get. So I have an extra set of ceramic pads since I bought Hawk HPS pads (which don't come with the clips)

I bought all my stuff at www.gmpartsdirect.com

88895128 (1)
88895129 (1)
88909667 (1)
12455799 (2)
12530697 (4)
88925547 (1)
88925548 (1)
12530703 (4)
22163795 (2)
10139097 (4)

This is the exact stuff that is shown in my website under the C5 conversion. Hope this helps. Total with shipping is around $800

Dan
Old 07-27-2005, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by stereomandan
Here are the part numbers you need and the quantity of each () for the C5 conversion. You will still need the adaptor brackets mentioned above, front brake hoses (get C5 stainless hoses) and brake fluid. I got the stoptech stainless steel brake lines. They were about $75. www.stoptech.com The ceramic GM pads that I list below were only purchased so that I could get the clips that come with them. The clips are used in the calipers and are used no matter what pad you get. So I have an extra set of ceramic pads since I bought Hawk HPS pads (which don't come with the clips)

I bought all my stuff at www.gmpartsdirect.com

88895128 (1)
88895129 (1)
88909667 (1)
12455799 (2)
12530697 (4)
88925547 (1)
88925548 (1)
12530703 (4)
22163795 (2)
10139097 (4)

This is the exact stuff that is shown in my website under the C5 conversion. Hope this helps. Total with shipping is around $800

Dan

Hey Dan,

That's a great list for the front. I was totally stuck on the upgrade and I'm glad I found your post.

Also, do you happen to have the part numbers for the rear calipers and rotors? Maybe I can go all around. Not sure if the rear rotors were the same size or a lil bigger.

I guess I need adaptors for the fronts as well and I need to cut some of the Spindle? Or is it easier just to get an LS1 Spindle? I guess I'll have to look up the part number but If you have a part number on the spindle that would be dope as well.

Shoot me any extra info that I may need to know. I've heard about it and skimmed across this info But....This is the first time looking & digging into this upgrade.

Thanks.

Mike

Last edited by Z06Z28; 07-27-2005 at 01:54 PM.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:46 PM

I assume you'd want to do something with the rear, after adding extra braking force to the front. Most OEM braking systems are too front biased for ideal stopping distance and braking performance (for a reason of course). You could alternatively select a lower friction front pad after upgrading the front brakes, as brake upgrades are supposed to be to prevent or stave off fade under heavy braking scenarios...
Old 07-27-2005, 08:59 PM

LG makes a bracket too. it utilizes the stock ls1 caliper, but you can also put on the C5 caliper if you want. or you can go with Umi performance's package. i've heard a lot of flack about Umi's because they powdercoat the aluminum, which is supposed to be bad for it...but people chrome and powder aluminum rims and unless it's done several times i've never heard of anything detrimental happening there.

there was one ricer guy who powdered his rims five times i think...maybe 4...any way, he locked up the brakes one time and his front driver's wheel shattered. just thought i'd throw that over there for ya
Old 07-27-2005, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Severous01
LG makes a bracket too. it utilizes the stock ls1 caliper, but you can also put on the C5 caliper if you want. or you can go with Umi performance's package. i've heard a lot of flack about Umi's because they powdercoat the aluminum, which is supposed to be bad for it...but people chrome and powder aluminum rims and unless it's done several times i've never heard of anything detrimental happening there.

there was one ricer guy who powdered his rims five times i think...maybe 4...any way, he locked up the brakes one time and his front driver's wheel shattered. just thought i'd throw that over there for ya
I believe the C5 kit is a very good upgrade for the price it cost. I run the Hawk HPS pads with GM rotors and so far so good, I am pleased but thats me. Do I road race, auto cross? No, just drive hard...so thats my opinon.

I think the UMI bracket deserves more credit. Its affordable, well built and the quality was excellent. They also offered all the customer support you could want. A buddy of mine even called UMI when he was having trouble with the Baer kit, UMI answered questions Baer couldn't answer!

I run it and I am happy and have seen no reported failures.

Quick Reply: What brakes do I want?