Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

What to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

What to buy?

Okay, so I have maybe a couple hundred dollars I can spend. There's a GP for Spohn products right now, so I'm looking at Spohn stuff.

I want to tighten up the car, and get it ready for more power when the time comes. My car is a daily driver first and foremost, and I autocross just about as often as I drag race (a couple times a year). The times I run don't really matter -- it's all about having fun, working on the car, driving fast, etc.

SFCs seem like a good idea, and I was looking at the two different Spohn options. There's a mild steel, and a 4130 Chrome Moly. The steel ones are 4.5 pounds heavier and $100 cheaper. They are the same design -- just different materials. The ends are mild steel on both, so there are no welding issues.

I was wondering if the 4130 SFCs are stronger than the mild steel ones, and if so, are they so much stronger that I would notice the difference? The 4.5 pounds doesn't really matter to me at all.

Also, Spohn has a set of LCA relocation brackets which are specific to Moser rear ends. The picture on their site is identical for both, but the Moser one costs an extra $20. What's the difference between the Moser one and the regular one? I plan on getting a Moser rear end eventually.