Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

What can I do to make my brakes work better?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 03:11 PM

What can I do to make my brakes work better?

It just seems like my brakes aren't very strong and I'd really like to do something about it. I have to push the peddle about 1/4 way before anything really happens. I checked the pads on the front disks and they're about 50% left. Is there anything I can do to make my brakes better that isn't going to cost much?

Last edited by 91 Camaro RS; 03-14-2006 at 03:14 PM.
Old 03-14-2006, 04:14 PM

Re: What can I do to make my brakes work better?

You could try bleeding them to make sure there's no air in the lines, or flush the system out (just stick a clear tube on the end of the bleeder and have a friend help you; when it comes out clean move to the next one).

Other than that, you might want to consider an LT1 or LS1 front brake conversion- but I'm not sure how much work would be involved in that, never heard much about the conversions on 3rd gens. It might not be worth it due to too many design changes.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:01 PM

Beside the aforementioned flushing and bleeding, one thing that makes a big difference in feel are SS brake lines. You can install these and then flush/bleed the system using a good DOT 4 OR 5 silicone based brake fluid.
Another thing that can make a hugh difference in feel are good high performance brake pads. But be careful and get good street or street/strip pads and not all out racing pads. These are the least expensive thing you can do to improve feel. Most people don't "use" the brakes they have, and don't "need" upgrades. But they sure are pretty.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:20 PM

No need for a DOT 5.

Dot 3 or 4 will be fine.
Old 03-15-2006, 04:15 PM

Will SS brake lines work on my car since I have damn drum brakes in the back (i'm not really familiar with the brake system at all since I haven't had to do anything with it yet)?
Old 03-15-2006, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator

I don't see any reason why you couldn't hook stainless lines up to drum brakes. If you have trouble, though, you could put stainless steel lines on in front and leave the back how they are...

You won't see quite as much difference that way, but there should still be an improvement.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:47 PM

Being as you have drum brakes on the rear disregard everything stated above. All you need to do is adjust the rear brakes properly. The other items listed are not going to raise your brake pedal apply point. Other than that the linings can get glazed after time and may need replacement to gain the friction required to work effectively.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:38 PM

3rd gen I presume?

I'd try a fluid change first and go from there. For a street car Valvoline Synpower brake fluid is readily available and works great. So does ATE type 200, but it'll cost more, is not as available , and I doubt you'd notice any difference.

You can get great pedal feel w/out stainless lines, but if you have the original rubber lines on a 3rd gen I'd go ahead and change them. Using new rubber lines will be fine. People have been road racing and auto-xing for years w/out stainless brake lines. I think your street car will do fine with them too.

As for the above post about DOT 5 fluids. This is what Stoptech has to say about them:
We won’t even discuss DOT 5 fluids as they are completely unacceptable to the high-performance enthusiast.

You could do a DOT 5.1, which is NOT a DOT 5 fluid, but still overkill for a street car.

Here is a good tech article to go by.
http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...fluid_1a.shtml
Old 03-16-2006, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by 91 Camaro RS
Will SS brake lines work on my car since I have damn drum brakes in the back (i'm not really familiar with the brake system at all since I haven't had to do anything with it yet)?
Yes, you will just have three lines instead of four. Two front wheels and the one between the chassis and the differential.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Greed4Speed
3rd gen I presume?

I'd try a fluid change first and go from there. For a street car Valvoline Synpower brake fluid is readily available and works great. So does ATE type 200, but it'll cost more, is not as available , and I doubt you'd notice any difference.

You can get great pedal feel w/out stainless lines, but if you have the original rubber lines on a 3rd gen I'd go ahead and change them. Using new rubber lines will be fine. People have been road racing and auto-xing for years w/out stainless brake lines. I think your street car will do fine with them too.

As for the above post about DOT 5 fluids. This is what Stoptech has to say about them:
We won’t even discuss DOT 5 fluids as they are completely unacceptable to the high-performance enthusiast.

You could do a DOT 5.1, which is NOT a DOT 5 fluid, but still overkill for a street car.

Here is a good tech article to go by.
http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...fluid_1a.shtml
I think you may get a lot of argument on this. This company has only been around since 99. And the fact that they make a few components doesn't necessarily make them experts. I've been using silicone based fluid for years in all my cars and have had good results. The fact that this fluid CAN have air in it doesn't mean is HAS to have,or will have, air in it. They freely admit that Castoil SRF is the best fluid and it is silicone based. Silicone based fluid doesn't absorb water so it wont rust your lines and calipers, will not deteriorate as quickly, and has a higher wet and dry boiling point.
Replacing old worn rubber hoses with new ones will certainly help, but it wont be the same as SS hoses. He didn't ask what he should do, he asked what he could do! Bottom line is that the current brakes are probably fine as is. Most people never use their brakes to full capacity any way.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:00 AM

Well oil change time is coming very soon, so maybe when I have the car on the ramps I can drain the brake system and put all new fluid in it and bleed it and see if that does anything. My brake system was leaking fluid a little last year, every now and then there would be a little on the driveway and sometimes on the bottom of the oil pan, I smelled it to make sure it wasn't oil and it wasn't. But then it stopped leaking and it hasn't done in since, and I've been keeping an eye on the amount of fluid and it hasn't dropped or anything, last time there was a drop of something on the bottom of the oil pan it was oil when I smelled it, the seal might could use replacing.

Could taking the top off the brake fluid reservoir and putting it back on put an air bubble in the system?
Old 03-16-2006, 11:39 AM

Have you adjusted the rear brakes???
Old 03-17-2006, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by 96flame
Have you adjusted the rear brakes???
No, I don't know how to do that anyway. I wish I had the money to buy a new rear end right now, I'd love to get a posi-trac with disks on it.
Old 03-17-2006, 11:39 AM

Well what you need to do is jack up the car and theres a plug in the backing plate. Pull out the plug and using a flat screwdriver you turn the adjuster. Spin the wheel in neutral until theres a bit of drag. This is what is going to raise your brake apply point. It takes up the slack between the brake shoes and the drum. The best part is its FREE. If the brakes haven't been checked in a long time you may need to remove the drums and unseize the adjuster.
Old 03-17-2006, 03:03 PM

The should be self adjusting in a 3rd gen. I know my 70 was.

Quick Reply: What can I do to make my brakes work better?