Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

What do i need to lower the car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 11:46 AM

What do i need to lower the car?

Do i just need lowering springs, to lower my car?

Seems overly simple, if that's all i need.

Are these good enough, http://www.slickcar.com/productdetai...ProductID=1646 .

Can anyone recomend a cheap, fairly good brand?
Old 10-29-2006, 12:12 PM

Changing the springs will lower the car but will also compromise the handling and traction. Upgrading your shocks to work with the new springs is a good idea. Also if you're into drag racing, lowering the car promotes wheel hop. Adding lower control arm relocation brackets will correct the alignment of your lower control arms.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:31 PM

Eibach springs are worth the money. BMR has a good name, and very reputable. THere's another brand but I can't remember what it was.

You'll need LCA relocation brackets and an ADJ PanHard Bar. To reclaim lost LCA angles and the ADJ PHB to center the rear end.

I dunno so much about "comprimising" handling... My car handles like it's on RAILS now. I also have the Bilstein Re-valved shox. I also agree w/ switching the shox, you're in there anyway, on the fronts you have to take the spring off the shock... mind as well replace it unless you really feel like doing it AGAIN..

The rear springs and shox are cake to do. the fronts are a bit more involved. Check my link in sig. I have a shock/spring swap writeup in there on page 2.

As far as parts for good prices.... (you get what you pay for, keep that in mind)... Check these links.

www.thunderracing.com
www.tbyrnemotorsports.com
www.ls1speed.com
www.texas-speed.com
www.afterthoughtsauto.com
www.umiperformance.com
www.ws6project.com/user_stor/catalog
www.futralmotorsports.com
www.bmrfabrication.com
www.livernoismotorsports.com

Last edited by Bayer-Z28; 11-01-2006 at 07:40 PM.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:52 PM

Thanks man. Yeah for now i am just going for appearance. No funds for performance yet. Anyhow i only have the v6. Probably will put the v8 in there at some point.

I looked at your cardomain posting. The look of your car is pretty much what i'm after for mine.

What are the lowering specs on your car? Where did you get your lowering kit incl/ shox and how much was it. If you don't mind me asking.

And while we are at it, can you give me the specs on your wheels? I am interested in some Ruff racing wheels but i am unsure of the details i need for the wheels.

Thanks.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:39 AM

What do you "need"? Springs. If you want to do it all wrong and have a handling and riding mess

What do you need to do it properly? The correct springs (and many aren't), shocks valved to match those springs because the shocks are spring dampers, and an adjustable PHB since lowering the car results in the body mount moving relative to the axle mount and effectively shortens the PHB length shifting the axle to the right in the car.

And off all those companies, I carry the biggest choice in parts, and also specialize in handling and suspension above all.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:42 AM

Sweet thanks.

Ok i'm looking to lower my 99 v6. What would i need from your store?

Keep in mind that this is for appearance only. I will not be racing this car. At least not for a long time.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:48 AM

Do you drive the car? Do you somehow leave the suspension at home when you do? Then your suspension is at work at all times. You don't need race parts. You do need the PHB (starting @ $99), some decent springs (not Ebay specials, $169 springs are worth what you pay for them), and if you are wise some shocks to control them. Do you have to do the shocks? No, but most folks who don't live to regret it since what makes the car worse than it really is to start with is the stock shocks, even on stock springs.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:50 AM

Wow you're kind of high strung, huh? Just kidding.

How about some specific advice please? I'm a newb i don't know what i'm doing.
Old 11-02-2006, 03:21 PM

It's a bit expensive, but I used Air Ride Technologies' Shockwaves in front and CoolRide kit on the rear, topped off with the LevelPro system, and I absolutely looooove it. Took me a bit to get the adjustments just right, but now I can push a button on the dash and raise/lower/adjust ride quality if I wish. www.ridetech.com, if you'd like to visit.
Old 11-02-2006, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by amber_lt1
It's a bit expensive, but I used Air Ride Technologies' Shockwaves in front and CoolRide kit on the rear, topped off with the LevelPro system, and I absolutely looooove it. Took me a bit to get the adjustments just right, but now I can push a button on the dash and raise/lower/adjust ride quality if I wish. www.ridetech.com, if you'd like to visit.
OUCH... Just looked at that site. A little bit too expensive for me. Thanks for the headsup though.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:37 PM

Well, specifics are a two way street, and I can't give you any base on a paragraph on a forum.

Anyone that tells you they can give you a solid setup without speaking to you is.... well, I just won't do it.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by amber_lt1
But does it adjust the alignment when you lower and raise from one height to another? Just like coilovers are great for adjustability, but when you change the ride height your alignment goes off with it.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Greed4Speed
But does it adjust the alignment when you lower and raise from one height to another? Just like coilovers are great for adjustability, but when you change the ride height your alignment goes off with it.
I haven't noticed too much of a change...yet. She does need the front end aligned (needed it before I installed the system last month) but is currently in the shop for an engine swap. I've noticed a pretty fair amount of negative camber at full drop but I'm not able to drive near that low due to how I mounted the level sensors (sensor mounting is quite a bit easier on a Camaro than on my TA). They've got a decent question-and-answer forum on their website; you could hop over there and ask for Darren.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:12 PM

and these guys are right, dbacs, shocks are extremely important!
Old 11-06-2006, 06:56 PM

Ok cool. Thanks for the headsup. I will save my pennies for the whole shabang. Shocks and coils. No automated lowering, yet though. Maybe one of the last additions, later on down the line.

Quick Reply: What do i need to lower the car?