Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

What do you suggest I do first?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 09:37 AM

What do you suggest I do first?

I have an '82 Z28 with a 350 and a 671 Weiand blower. It is around 600hp. I just bought the car and the guy who built it made it mostly to be a show car. He got the engine and tranny done, and put in a Trans Am GTA rear end. He intended to tub it, but never did so he never even put sub frame connectors on it. It is a T-Top car and I don't want to twist the frame up, so I want to reinforce the car. Where should I start? Sub frame connectors? My insurance company told me they wouldn't insure it if I put a roll cage in it. I know that would help the stiffness, but that may not be an option. Any advice is appreciated!

Ben
Old 10-04-2006, 01:19 PM

Re: What do you suggest I do first?

I would definitely suggest the subframe connectors, they are not very expensive and they make a big difference in added chassis strength. They made a big difference for my car and it puts out nowhere near the numbers yours does.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:33 PM

definately some subframes...

and maybe do some research with your insur company as to why the won't insure it? sounds kindda lame. a cage is street legal as far as i know.

and anyway...how would they know? put a 4 point in
Old 10-04-2006, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by teke184
definately some subframes...

and maybe do some research with your insur company as to why the won't insure it? sounds kindda lame. a cage is street legal as far as i know.

and anyway...how would they know? put a 4 point in
I completely agree. Why would they say no to something that could cut down on their medical expenses if I crash?! My agent said that if I put in a cage after they insured me, and I crashed...they would deny the claim! That would not be good! So according to Nationwide thinks a cage means a race car, and they won't insure it.

This is really tough for me since my car has T-tops, and does not have the structural integrity of a solid roof car. I need to keep the cage out and still get stiffness.
Old 10-04-2006, 05:35 PM

your insurance company sucks

but yea, if you want structural integrity and you cant put a cage, go with subframes (if you can get those double diamond things that'd be great) a strut tower brace and a wonder bar

there are also those 4 point cages that are low profile so its easy to get in and out of the car, you could try for one of those and try and hide it
Old 10-04-2006, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by respectirocz
your insurance company sucks

but yea, if you want structural integrity and you cant put a cage, go with subframes (if you can get those double diamond things that'd be great) a strut tower brace and a wonder bar

there are also those 4 point cages that are low profile so its easy to get in and out of the car, you could try for one of those and try and hide it
What are double diamond things? Do they make strut tower braces that you can use with a blower? Also...what is a wonder bar? Sorry for all the newbie questions, but that is what I am to this section of cars! I have never owned something like this beast before!!
Old 10-04-2006, 09:25 PM

I believe double diamods are the sfc's that connect to the tunnel also. MUCH more connection to the other side and better than just running "tubes" down each side. They can also be further connected via tunnel brace.

SLP has them, but not for the 82. You can probably have a set welded up custom for ya if you can't find them. These would be great for a high hp application like yours.

here's a pic of the SLP's.

Last edited by Bayer-Z28; 10-04-2006 at 09:29 PM.