Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

What next on Suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 12:22 AM

What next on Suspension?

Well I already have the 32mm 1LE swaybar, Hotchkis ADJ PHB, and Tubular LCA's with SLP's Level II Eibach/Bilsteins going in this weekend.

What do you guys think I should do next? Hit up some Boxed UMI SFC's? Or shift the focus back to the motor/tranny?

I know Sam's going to be in here giving me the 35mm talk Actually I might consider that.

-Dustin-
Old 01-22-2006, 09:28 AM

Re: What next on Suspension?

GOOD TIRES if you don't have them already.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:18 AM

SFCs would be a great thing to get along with tires, they are not really expensive and u can do motor work while ur at it.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:28 AM

I would upgrade the brakes
Old 01-22-2006, 10:53 AM

Well, since you are the driver, take the car out for a spirited drive with lots of turns, see if there is anything you don't like about the car and then decide whether anything needs to be changed or not. For example, you might feel you have too much body roll in the turns, and then you can think about upgrading to a bigger front swaybar..

Or maybe you will feel that the car is perfect the way it is for what you want out of it, and then you can spend some money to get more power, or to improve the driver maybe Good luck.
Old 01-22-2006, 12:48 PM

Well I already have good tires. I have LS1 front brakes and am soon switching to LS1 rears too [not that there is a huge difference in rears, but I need them and the axles for ABS].

I guess I'll see what I think it needs after the SLP Level II install Saturday. Thanks guys.

-Dustin-
Old 01-23-2006, 06:32 AM

How much of a difference do the LCAs make?
Old 01-23-2006, 11:07 AM

Well, your whole suspension is not what I'd have done. Nothing horrible, but nothing outstanding. Mediocre as a whole.

Someone said it... drive the car (and not just the first day) and assess what you do not like. My guess is simple. Over time you'll find you would like more roll control and better body motion control. Basically better shock damping and more effective swaybar combination.

If you like what you have, then great. But I suspect you'll want more sooner or later. However, what to do "next" when you don't even have your springs and shocks on is a *bit* premature.

And FWIW, I'm not sure you look at the big picture. For example... why would you put on LS1 rear brakes in place of LT1 rear brakes? You'd be installing 12" vented discs with aluminum calipers..... but, you already have all that for free. What's the point????????????
Old 01-23-2006, 08:25 PM

Well the LS1 rear brakes are a trade between my good friend Darkhorse and I. He wants LT1 rears, I want LS1 rears so I can have ABS again. Its more of a maintenance switch than performance, since without ABS my rear LT1's dont seem to be working at all. Thats an issue with having a different channel rear end that I had to sacrifice for some 3.73's anda Zexel Posi. I'm not sure what you mean about vented discs.

Compared to how the car handled with a blown out PHB bushing it honestly feels like a brand new car. I'll get back to everyone after I get the springs and shocks on.

The places I feel that are most inadequate on the car right now lives between the strut towers

-Dustin-
Old 01-23-2006, 09:06 PM

Dustin - I talked to Jason and he says the rear brakes aren't going to make a difference because you had a 4 channel rear previously and now it's a 3 channel. Look around before we do anything to make sure this will work for what you need.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:13 PM

Aw crap Well if you still want the LT1's let me know. I'm going to search some to see how this works.

I actually think its the other way around I went from a 3 to a 4.

-Dustin-

Last edited by Bersaglieri; 01-23-2006 at 09:15 PM.
Old 01-24-2006, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Bersaglieri
Well the LS1 rear brakes are a trade between my good friend Darkhorse and I. He wants LT1 rears, I want LS1 rears so I can have ABS again. Its more of a maintenance switch than performance, since without ABS my rear LT1's dont seem to be working at all. Thats an issue with having a different channel rear end that I had to sacrifice for some 3.73's anda Zexel Posi. I'm not sure what you mean about vented discs.

Compared to how the car handled with a blown out PHB bushing it honestly feels like a brand new car. I'll get back to everyone after I get the springs and shocks on.

The places I feel that are most inadequate on the car right now lives between the strut towers

-Dustin-
Having LT1 rear brakes w/LS1 fronts is NOT why you don't have ABS. I know this because there are many, many LT1's out there with LS1 front/OE rears and the ABS works just fine.
Old 01-24-2006, 01:42 PM

This is why I dont have ABS. I have a 3 channel ABS Unit originally. I swapped to a 4 channel rear from a 1996 LT1 with internally had 3.73's and a nice Zexel Posi unit. Therefore it has no pinion gear or 3 channel plug in the housing. I thought that I might be able to get it to work with Aaron's stuff since he thought it was 4 channel from a LS1 and it might have the gears on the end of axles. We are still tracking down some information on it but it seems I cant make it work without adding the inner gear for 3 channel. If nothing else I might take my 3 channel rear I have sitting behind the garage and put the 3.73's and Zexel in there and swap the gear ring from the 2.73's onto the 3.73's for ABS. Although I wouldnt mind just having the LS1 brakes for funnzies. We'll see.

-Dustin-

Last edited by Bersaglieri; 01-24-2006 at 01:47 PM.
Old 01-24-2006, 02:58 PM

Swap the entire rear with me - 3.42's in mine hehehe
Old 01-24-2006, 04:02 PM

I'll do that right after we switch cold air induction kits

-Dustin-